Forcing and ignition timing

CMF_Alienfish360

» CMF Member
Ok..... I'll be doing a turbo conversion on a CG13DE. I will be fabricating the manifold and exhaust system myself.

I will also be mapping it myself.

Now, I can understand the fuelling etc, however I'm a little lost with the mapping of ignition timing.

I've read that the HKS kit for the CG13DE from the Cube will run 5 psi on a standard ECU etc etc etc.

Now, will I be able to run 6-8psi with an intercooler on standard compression and standard ignition timing?

If not, will I get away with turning my dizzy cap, to retard a couple of degrees and a couple of grades colder on the plugs? I know it's not the proper way, but until I plan to run bigger boost, I don't really want to touch the mapping of the ignition timing.

Thanks

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
You may be okay at 6/8 with everything standard apart from the ignition.You will find ignition will have to be retarded around 3 degrees.I found with Family Hack initially that with no intercooler standard everything 5 psi was achievable with good airfuel ration etc.Now runs 7 psi with intercooler and a 5th injector as after 5 psi it started to run lean.I would set it on whatever boost is achievable depending on air fuel ratio. Thats the killer.

CMF_Alienfish360

» CMF Member
White Knight:

I just read in an older thread that you're running 7psi with your timing retarded by 4 degrees. Is this retarded 4 degrees through the full rev range? i expect to produce my 6-8psi at around 3000rpm, now, I assume that's around when you produce your 7psi.

What is the performance like off boost with the retarded ignition?

CMF_Alienfish360

» CMF Member
I will be using the PLX Devices M300 Wideband Lambda

http://www.plxdevices.com/M-Series_productinfo.htm

so will be able to do fuel air ratio.

I know it's not the proper way, but I'll be using the Apexi SAFC2 to sort my fuelling out till I can afford an E-Manage, this has 12 point adjustment of fuelling. So at 8psi and my timing turned back 4 degrees, I can't see an issue I'll have. True, it won't be at it's full potential but should be ok till I can afford the E-manage, and it gives me something more simple to learn about fuel mapping :)

Anybody tried running a turbo's fuelling like this? If so what problems were encountered?

CMF_K11SS

» CMF Member
well when i ran my car like this setup i had mayjor problems with it running rich, way too rich n it sometime stalled... tho this was discussed on msn so u know my opinion-lol

pepper

CMF_Alienfish360

» CMF Member
but the issue you have is off boost, which should be running near enough standard..... So, as I mentioned I believe your issues are elsewhere.

Anyway, back on topic :)

Back