flywheel antics

superls

K10 Tuner
hi all again.

ben doing a little more tinkering, this time inthe flywheel department.

i wont ramble on this one, pictures speak louder than words so ill only state the stats/facts you need to know.

main body - billet aluminium
ring gear - standard
friction rear - 5mm thick piece slice of the original cast friction area, held on with loctited high tensile counter sunk machine screws
6lb 10oz. is equal to 3.00504945kg

anyway pics, enjoy

10082010018.jpg

10082010019.jpg

10082010020.jpg

10082010021.jpg

10082010022.jpg

10082010023.jpg

10082010024.jpg

p.s. still needs balancing, and still unsure wether to lighten it by means of drilling holes around it.

Stunning bit of work (Y). I wouldn't drill it, you need a certain amount of flywheel mass to keep the gear changes sweet.

@ frank, my thoughts exactly, however, believe it or not the cast centre part as the best part of 1kg, so theres not too much to be saved from drilling the ally, but every little helps lol

cheers man, yea id love a hands on engineering job, but im stuck with my shirt and trousers office electronics job, lol

Hi There
What a stunning piece of engineering, Nice lathe, Mine won't swing anything more than about 8 1/2"
Real quality thanks for sharing this with us.

Kind regards

Malcolm

thanks for the nice comment mate, yea its a good lathe, harrison one. the swing on this is about the same as yours 8-8.5 inch, but this had a gap bed, with the gap out ive spun a 13" micra wheel no porblems. theres a bit of ware on the cross slide but as long as your aware of it it poses no problem what so ever, all the other slides are fine tho.

thanks for the nice comment mate, yea its a good lathe, harrison one. the swing on this is about the same as yours 8-8.5 inch, but this had a gap bed, with the gap out ive spun a 13" micra wheel no porblems. theres a bit of ware on the cross slide but as long as your aware of it it poses no problem what so ever, all the other slides are fine tho.

WOW You are a lucky man. I learned most of my turning on a harrison great machine. Can you adjust the crosslide ?. I know what you mean by" as long as you are aware.
Malcolm

WOW You are a lucky man. I learned most of my turning on a harrison great machine. Can you adjust the crosslide ?. I know what you mean by" as long as you are aware.
Malcolm

ive learned all my turning on my dads, colchester bantom, and my harrison (not sure on model), im self taught, where/how did you learn?.

The crosslide is adjustable on the slides but the play/slap is in the threaded bush at the end, what the cross slide thread screws into, if you know what i mean? you can get new replavement parts but there £££, i have varoins slide threads and matching bushes, with little or no slap in them but the pitch of the thread is different to the standard one so the dial on the handle will be wrong, and i use it all the time (even though it is in thou, lol).

what machine do you have?

Hi Superls
I have a small chinese mini lathe which after a great deal of modifying is quite accurate, I use this for making watch and clock parts and general small turning up to about 20mm. I also have a 1970s perfecto screwcutting lathe which is a good quality copy of a myford, Can you see where this is going ?......... The chinese machine is metric and the perfecto is imperial so i have a motley collection of micrometers and guages in both formats. However the chinese came to the rescue with cheap digital verniers with instant conversion.

All the best
Malcolm

Back