flushing coolant from engine block

Salut,

Current situation: Radiator corroded through and coolant leaked. Have removed the corroded radiator and whilst doing so noticed the water/coolant mixture to come out of the bottom radiator hose had in it, not unreasonably given the condition of the radiator, quite a lot of rust particles.

I want to flush the coolant out of the engine to remove any further rust (and coolant - I want to go from blue (glycol) to an OAT coolant).

How do I do this? I've seen methods with the radiator in situ, but I don't want to install the new radiator and flush any remaining scum through it.

Can I, using the hose method, flush through the upper hose so that it comes out of the lower hose? (Is this in reverse to usual flow direction?? I just want to be sure I don't damage any valves or pumps if I do this ..... (?)

You help much appreciated.

Hose pipe and use this to clear the engine/block. Make sure you have the heater on hot to clear this as well. If quite dirty can take quite a while to flush through.

Hose pipe and use this to clear the engine/block. Make sure you have the heater on hot to clear this as well. If quite dirty can take quite a while to flush through.

Thanks Matt,

Heater matrix has been isolated for a year since it burst and I was too lazy to fix, so no issue there!

...but can you confirm I can do it through the top radiator hose, back in to the engine, without causing any damage (to the water pump etc)?

I normally do it both directions, until it runs clear. Very unlikely to cause any damage, you may want to remove the thermostat to ensure that doesn't get clogged up with crud, fitting a new one would be a good move anyway as they are cheap.

Ive always removed the thermostat when flushing. Ive got a 2001 model, which doesn't have a gasket for the housing, it just uses silicone sealant, therefore I left it overnight to fully cure before refilling and running.

Back