1.0 Coolant Leak

My 1.0 M-reg K11 seems to be losing coolant out of the reserve tank, although very slowly. Also, since a recent mystery overheating coolant bubbles slowly into the reserve tank whenever I stop the car. The only cause we could find for this overheating seemed to be the radiator filler cap came loose.

The car is handling fine and generally behaves - there are no other problems with the coolant system and it runs at normal temperature as it did before.

Any ideas?

I have not noticed any when driving and when the RAC rescue followed me back from the overheating, he said he saw no signs of smoke

Did you check to see if the fan runs it should come on every say 10-20 minutes when the car is idleing mine does anyway. Also did you get the expension tank sorted it might be the cause of the car over heating. If there are bubbles in the coolant system there is air around in the system caused from the expansion tank as far as i know there is no over flow on the expansion tank i could be wrong. Also it could be the water pump or the thermostat. Just check the car again and leave the car idleing because its hard to tell when your driveing because the air is cold and is cooling the rad down. You could try and flush the system is well engine and rad your rad could be slightly colged with a build up of gunge. Also another thing never top up the coolant with water it weakens the strainght of the coolant. Only top up with coolant rad and expansion tank i flushed my rad and engine a yr ago and renewd the coolant i used prestone you can add it to any colour and make of coolant. Just dont add water there is no need to mix with water when you use prestone

I used prestone too to top up my coolant, seems very sound and co-operative with the engine!

But yeah, if no smoke problems then the engines fine, just check what fob has suggested and hopefully you'l fix her right up :)

Back