fitting smaller wheels

R

RIK

ive just heard its dangerous to fit smaller than standard wheels on.

can anyone tell me why? i dont think it is tbh
i mite be fitting 15's on my car thats all :)

not dangerous at all. In fact, its a good thing to do, seriously improves your acceration. BAck in the old days, it was always popular to fit 12's on a cortina or whatever instead of the 13's, and it made quite a difference. As long as you use a tyre of the correct speed rating, and width as well you should be totally fine.

Slim said:
not dangerous at all. In fact, its a good thing to do, seriously improves your acceration. BAck in the old days, it was always popular to fit 12's on a cortina or whatever instead of the 13's, and it made quite a difference. As long as you use a tyre of the correct speed rating, and width as well you should be totally fine.

this is the point i was making.as alot of cup/challenge cars use smaller wheels.

the only problems it'd cause are your more likely to slide, easly overcome by not throwing it round corners + 15" wheels would still be fine.

and the brakes, if the brakes fit on the smaller wheels then it should be all good ;)

rlees85 said:
the only problems it'd cause are your more likely to slide, easly overcome by not throwing it round corners + 15" wheels would still be fine.

but thats to do with width isnt it?

lol sorry was having abit of a slow-moment then i think...

yeah what i meant to say was smaller wheels are generally thinner but not always...

its a good plan to go smaller. the brakes should fit as the nissan CCC cars have 15" on the same brakes. grip isnt all about width though.i think most important aspect is tyre compound/ make of tyre. you can go smaller and get more grip by getting more sport/track orientated tyres. compared to a normal tyre on bigger wheels etc. differences in amount of grip a tyre in one size but different compounds is astonishing.
it will be quite easy to try various sizes of tyre once you have 15" wheels as there are quite a few choices. would be a case of finding out what suits the k12 best from driving it.

thanks guys..still paying for bodykit atm so when i got rid of that debt i will get some 15's :D

done abit of weight saving today..i have pics ill put them in k12 forum

if you wanted to do it cheap there could be bargain to be found by taking the 15" alloys off a salvaged 1.4/1.2 k12.
but 15x7 OZ super allegerra race (sp?) would be the super light weight best option.

Back