Fitting brake pads Help!

Mat.T

Ex. Club Member
I'm in the process of fitting new brake pads to my k10, having fitted the pads i've now got to refit the caliper. The haynes tells me 'the piston must now be fully depresed in to the cylinder.............' but doesn't tell you how to do this, so any one got any tipps?

cheers Mat

You'll probably have worked out it is best to push the piston back when the caliper is still on the car but a G clamp works well as does the newer style clamps with the trigger idea if still on the brake hose.

Mouser.

You might have to spoon out a little bit of brake fluid if your pads were particularly worn with your fluid level already at the maximum.

I had the exact same problem with my K11, all you need is a big muscular man( like mine) to do it for you.

Right the Piston: Do use a G clamp. Don't use it on it's own. However just try getting a screwdriver accross the piston head and slowly push it back.

If like shadi's and it's jammed you needto use a hammer handle (or equal size - metal bar etc) and cover the whole piston "face". then clamp it and if need be use a pair of pilers to twist it back otherwise your gonna get sore hands.

Main reason for this is it doesn't offset the piston when it's being pushed back.

Back