Fitting Anti-Lift parrts to Control Arm

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
Any tips here guys? i had the control arm off a few weeks back (image below), but planning to pull car down today, to do koni inserts and antilift bush. but i dunno how you get that rear control arm bush off, and for that matter i guess the new one is difficult to get on too,

any help is appreciated,

Alex

cisco

» CMF Member
Hey that big bush thing just pops off. Just try to work it off. But plenty of grease in there with the new one.
Rubber grease (hopefully you got some with the whiteline parts) so that the rubber doesn't rot.

Have fun Alex.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
well i've gotten the big rubber off ther control arm with some gloves, nice :). but i was suspicious of unrepaired? accident damage when i had the lefthand side of the car apart a few weeks back,

the lefthand control arm front mounting bush is either been pressed in on an angle or bent across or something, thing is it seem tight not loose like the rubber is worn, please any opinions/ideas? the flash used in the images make it hard to see the difference angle. these first teo pics are of the lefthand control arm a few weeks back(i couldn't get the righthand one off to compare) and then the following two pictures are both left and righthand arms,

thanks in advance!

Alex

ps. no bends, or cracked paint is visiable on either arms nor on the chassis mopunting points. i firs became aware of this after temp fitting 17 inch wheels, because the lafthand wheel sits noticably back in the wheel arch.

Attachments

• 1050.jpg
    1050.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 45

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
on pic above, notice on the lefthand control arm, the top bolt angles to the left while the other is straight, and very close to angling left... second pic below...

Attachments

• 1053.jpg
    1053.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 35

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
so i gues what i'm asking is would the bush bend??? before the mouting point on the chassis?

below is the lefthand side of the car with the wheel back in the guard (yes the steering wheel was straight) that made me notice the issue

Attachments

• 1054.jpg
    1054.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 38

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
well mate i had a sneak peak at your car last brissy meet and i didnt pick up any signs of accident damage.

First thing to look for with that sort of issue is chassis clamp marks underneath the car.

BTW, see a podiatrist about those ingrowns :p

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
hehe, google search of "chassis clamp marks" brings up the CMF micra buyer beware page first on the list.

here some more pics, are these the clamps marks?

below is the front left, very hard too see them..

Attachments

• 1061.jpg
    1061.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 44

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
and the identical marks are on the outside,

mighty, the actual metal sleeve/bush on the lefthand control arm looks most certainly at an angle, but 99% sure bolts not bent, just had a look at mounting point - difficult to say but it looks like its just pointing backwards, going to get steel ruler out and do some measuring to and from the mounting bracket, hope there i something fixed nearby to compare with,

Alex

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
I cant see any signs of clamping. Those markings are all just manufacturing pressings...

Ideally you need to get the car up on a hoist to look for them.

Still - just replace the suspect control arm and bolt with one from a micra which hasnt seen a front ender. Never hurts and if still looks suspect you can take it to a panel shop which can have a look at it with the laser sights and see if your little micra is bent or not!!!

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
well, after much confuscious (finding the rigthhand control arm to be 4-5mm shorter in north-south length than the left hand , neither are bent) i figured the car has driven fine for 12mths / 30'000km, yes 30'000 in 12mths i'll just put it all back together and when its getting the alignment ask em their opinion on the matter. and yes cisco i had fun, the most fun was the front konis,hehe, scroll down to the pic's that tell a thosand words, well maybe not a thousand,

Alex

Attachments

• 1200.jpg
    1200.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 39

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
also, the antilift kit actually pushes the entire front strut and hub assebly forwards and outwards somewhat, now you can hardly/ almost not notice the issues with the lefthand side, and the righthadn side is measurably forwards only with a ruler but looks normal with casual eye. Which what all my whining was about. didn't want to spend money on nice big wheels (15" ) and have the wheel look awkward (hmm, that spelling looks awkward? no) / noticably back in the guard to the casual eye,

Alex

Attachments

• 1201.jpg
    1201.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 36

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
as the pics show, i had to cut the second strut off through the springs with a hacksaw (i had spring compressors on so the strut top didn't shoot off at 60km/h) as the top sturt nut wouldn't undo. most fun part was cutting the top of struts with an angle grinder, hehe. one thing i found though was the instructions say you need a 14mm drill, we after finding out a 14mm drillbit (that i would drill four holes with) was $40 odd dollars i got me a 13mm for $17. and the 13mm imho should be recommended as a 14mm hole would have had allot of freeplay on both occasions that needed drilling,

anyways steers easy to the left now :D, so will get her straightened up this week. Koni's are currently set on softest, and combined with the kings i think the car still has the old gear in - as there is no decrease in comfort whatsoever, yet to try them on the firmer settings, except the front dampers aren't floating around like a mesage in a bottle

so now i'm absolutly stuffed/tried ready for bed, lol

Alex

Back