Fitted weber, this right? [pics]

Batch

Ex. Club Member
With the risk of sounding like a complete tit, is this right?

The fuel inlet end of the weber is mighty close to the rocker cover?

Also there is a vaccum input-output which as far i can see doesn't have a pipe?

As i say i might be making Everest out of a mole hill but just checking?

Alright, slightly small, apologies

Do i need another adapter plate or is this okay?

and the other vaccum attachment?

Cheers guys

regarding the pipe i would need to double check on one of the engines when i went home matey. but it:

a) goes round to the back of the inlet to the t piece connector area!!
b) goes to fuel pump area

The vaccum pipe attachment is for the idle speed increase when you turn the lights on or whatever.. See diagram: http://thacreeper.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/weberdiag1.jpg
There should be a plug by the carb which was previously attached to the hitachi which you connect to the vacuum switch you see in the diagram.

all the weber's i've seen have just had a vacuum pipe attatched from the carb straight to the inlet manufold. PErhaps this could be the cause of the comon hesitation problem?

It may contribute Slim, the main reason i believe is the fuel enrichment pump. I think its too much for the micra and casues it to go mege rich every time you slam the throttle to the floor.

Ed - theres rich, and theres blatent flooding.

I had my old red one on the rolling road for over 5 hours, with loads of different jets and different combinations of everything - and it still didnt run to my liking

But to be fair - i can't stand the weber carbs.

A much better peformance tip - Get the hitatchi overhauled, and spend the rest of the dosh on a decent set of brake pads, new disks, new brake fluid and correctly set shoes. Thats worth a lot more on the road.

My old carb used to flood real bad, didn't choke itself like the weber does but my car forever stank of petrol, just used to keep chucking it in.

Thanks to all the weber's on, doesn't seem that much quicker, response is definately much better, pulls all the way through the rev range and doesn't seem to lose revs quite as easily.

Thought it would be a bit quicker than this, but i may not have it running perfectly set up, have to get the emission tester on it at some point and sort it, once agin thanks for all your help guys.

this is where the mis-conception starts.

The weber isnt meant to be quicker. It isnt a performance upgrade - its a direct replacement carb

It makesme laug. People compair a knackered 15yr old carb to a brand new one and shout on about how crap hitatchi's are how good webers are.

A rebuilt hitatchi perfomas BETTER than a new weber.

Where and How much would it cost to get my existing hitachi re-con'd?

I always thought the Weber was a performance part, that's why everywhere you go people offer to fit them and map the ignition to get decent BHP figures.

Anybody on the scene if you mention weber's would immediately think performance, apologies if i upset you slim.

well i got my brand new webber on and its running alot better but i really got to get used to the face i have to increase the trottle slowly not put my foot down as it does choke a bit but should get better as it beds in

off course it runs better paul its brand new if your hitachi was reconditioned with new jets it would be even better

yes. Mat is right

and how does a carb bed-in?

As long as your hitatchi's relitavly decent, just take it to a carb specilists and get them to rebuild it. Last time i had mine donw it cost about £70 al in. THat was for the parts ,labour and tune up.

also. How do the words 'direct replacement' equate to it being a perfomance part?

also. the weber has a 34mm choke on it. Ed, will you get us teh choke sizes for the hitatci, should be in your jap carb manual. THen a mathmetician can work it out, but theoretically the hitatchi should have a better flow.

also, the 34 ICH also goes on a sierra!

The 34ICH is used on loads of big engines, like 2 litres, but its going to have different jets.. You can remove the choke quite easily from the Weber carb, though its still crap.

The venturi on the Weber can be swapped for others, as well as the idle jet, emulsion tube and main jets. They are all different for different cars.

I seem to remember that the Weber has a wider opening at WOT but for mid positions the Hitachi beats it.

what would you say then is a upgrade for a ma10 carb that you can find in the scrappy for minimal £ that can be fitted with minimal ag with a adapter plate etc.

The intake manifold is more of a paroblem than the carb. So your always going to be restricted by that.

Ed

Back