First Micra, second day, issues! :(

Hi,
So yesterday, I decided to get a Nissan Micra. It's a 1997 1.3L SR
It's been fine up until today. I decided to rip the stereo out to put my own in, with a subwoofer. However as it got dark I realized my dashboard light no longer came on when the lights are on. This definitely worked yesterday though!

Did all the usual checks, what works and what doesn't first:
After one or two clicks of my headlight switch the front headlights come on (dim or on full), but the following doesn't work:
-Dashboard light
-All the usual rear lights (that should come on with the headlights)
-Beeping noise as I open the door to warn my lights are on

I'm guessing it's all linked to the same fuse. Fourth slot up on the left hand side.
This had blown, so I replaced it with another 10A unblown fuse. The instant I turned my lights on it blew again.
I tried a 25A fuse and watched it spark and blow as my friend turned the lights on.

My guess is I've pulled the wire out for my dash light (when messing with the CD player) and it's shorting on a grounding point somewhere. Could I have done this whilst messing with the CD player? Otherwise I could've knocked a wire whilst putting my HUGE subwoofer in the boot.

Is there any chance someone could provide a wiring diagram for my car, and also advise the best points to look for breaks or loose wires from the fusebox to the lights?
Thanks

Edit: I've found these:
http://www.micra.org.uk/attachments/k11-wiring-no-nat-jpg.17004/
http://www.micra.org.uk/attachments/k11-wiring-nats-jpg.17005/
I don't know what nats and no nat is though, and if these are for my car. I'm also not sure how to decipher this! It looks confusing haha

Lights working... 'ripped' cd player out... lights not working. My guess is your problem is behind there
Put the original back in and see if they come back on

Just found this online for you thought id seen it somewhere...
Dash light/tail light fuse keeps blowing. Check to see if the original radio is fitted. If not, remove the radio and you will probably find the radio has been earthed through a red wire with a blue trace. This is actually the live to illuminate the factory stereo unit. when you switch the lights on it will blow the fuse (think its the 3rd from the bottom on the left row in the interior fuse box. If the cigar lighter /radio feed fuse keeps blowing, more often than not its because there is a 5p in the cigar lighter socket!

Just found this online for you thought id seen it somewhere...
Dash light/tail light fuse keeps blowing. Check to see if the original radio is fitted. If not, remove the radio and you will probably find the radio has been earthed through a red wire with a blue trace. This is actually the live to illuminate the factory stereo unit. when you switch the lights on it will blow the fuse (think its the 3rd from the bottom on the left row in the interior fuse box. If the cigar lighter /radio feed fuse keeps blowing, more often than not its because there is a 5p in the cigar lighter socket!

Thankyou! This fixed it.
My wiring had the 8x speaker cables, and 3x other wires.
I used a volt meter to find permanent live and ignition live. The last cable remaining was 'beeping' on my volt meter to earth, so I presumed it was the earth.
When I re-tested this 'earth', it is +12v when my lights are on!
I will have to re-run an earth wire now but the one I was using for earth will come in handy. I can use this for footwell lights :)

Thankyou! This fixed it.
My wiring had the 8x speaker cables, and 3x other wires.
I used a volt meter to find permanent live and ignition live. The last cable remaining was 'beeping' on my volt meter to earth, so I presumed it was the earth.
When I re-tested this 'earth', it is +12v when my lights are on!
I will have to re-run an earth wire now but the one I was using for earth will come in handy. I can use this for footwell lights :)
Good im glad I could help :)
My footwell lights are wired to the light on the cigarette lighter.

The lights will blow with wrong ordering of wiring or no ground

(Which Nissan kindly did through the aerial! if your not using the stock head unit anymore, wire your ground up to your aerial and boom, should all be happy :)

The lights will blow with wrong ordering of wiring or no ground

(Which Nissan kindly did through the aerial! if your not using the stock head unit anymore, wire your ground up to your aerial and boom, should all be happy :)

found this out when installing me new head unit, it kept sparking when I tried to put the screws in, forgot to plug aerial :oops:, Plugged it in and all sorted :)
)

Aye, I melted ahead unit and the 12v ignition feed right down to the loom when I did this, grabbed the unit and threw it out the window ffs!

Rewired in a new 12v ignite feed and now running a black ground wire on the connector to my aerial as I don't have the aerial plug on the headunit, what an absolute stupid thing!

Back