finally fred has progress

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
after fiddling around I've finally got something to show. On my turbo setup I've decided to go top mount intercooler, water/air intercooler. Started making one up from scratch from an old copper radiator and a blow torch and was progressing well when I thought 'was there something of the shelf'...... would a liberty intercooler fit....after some changes (bottom half of photo) I'll take another of it mounted so you can see what I mean.....

Attachments

• 30459.jpg
    30459.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 36

smidge

» CMF Member
aha! you've done exactly what i plan to do on my own micra :D

have one of those sitting on the shelf waiting to be attacked with a welder

good work!

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
ta. shouldn't have any soak issues.....

I knew I'd better hurry up with it otherwise someone would beat me to it. gotta watch the ailgment of it, cuz the brake master is a little close to the left hand side of intercooler. when I get home I'll trow up some more pics

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
more photos.... showing mounted on my spare head.... only things to do is the pipe from exit of turbo to intercooler. notice the 'cooler is a little to the right to miss the brake booster and to allow the exit charge air to flow straight as poss down to the TB. It would have been nice to have it not offset but I had to comprise alittle.

Attachments

• 30481.jpg
    30481.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 28

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
passenger side showing BOV mount and notice angle of cooler, this follows the bonnet line... I measured a good 15-20 mm clearance across intercooler.....

Attachments

• 30483.jpg
    30483.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 31

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
only things left to do is to mount the pump somewhere, a few welds for the intercooler mounts, a new alternator mount.... trying to get it done quick but time is short, living in two different time zones!

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
wow fred that looks REALY nice ay!! never thought of the liberty intervooler ay!!! a mates got an rs liberty with the exact same cooler and at night its like a fridge when you put your hand on it!! they work realy well...

keen to see more pics of it in the car! inspires me to try my own conversion!!

tris

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
this weekend i'll have the turbo mounted in the car to jig up the new alternator mount and to be sure alls ok and then i'll get those brakets and little bits weldup up. so I'll gets some pix up on satdee.

smidge

» CMF Member
whats the go with the alternator mount? is it cause the turbo is in the way?

i'm not sure how i'll go with the A/C but i'm not getting rid of it after all that work!

going to start hacking up my WAIC this weekend ready to weld it up

having a spare head/tb would be a big help when doing this kinda thing,

thanks for posting the pics, going to make it much easier for me :D

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
That's a great solution - you've eliminated a metre or 2 of intercooler piping and the water to air intercooler system is quite efficient till you hit bigger outputs over around 200kw. I've got an RS Liberty wagon which is slightly modded with around 200kw and runs sweet with stock intercooler. Your mods to the air feed to the throttle body, if anything, may improve air flow of the system! MRT do an uprated pump if you want even more cooling but I think the stock one will be fine given the maximum you'll get out of a CG13 is less than the stock RS output of just under 150kw.

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
smidge, if you like I can give some dimmensions for you so the bonnet clearances are ok, cuse there was a lot of under body measurements and reaching up that should only be done by someone else.......it was not real fun.... have a look and see if you can have the cooler mounted even with the head (instead of off set like mine, I just wanted ample room around brake master but you might think it ok with it square on)

New alternator mount... when I made my manifold I didn't sink the steam pipe into the exhaust flange so it sticks out further than stock so the alternator has to rotate out about 50mm ....hence new mount required, there is enough (just) screw length for the belt. My spare motor is non a/c so I'll propably hybridize/barstardize that mount.

Nissanmania, I'm actually not using the other liberty stuff (pump and radiator) I found a 17 l/m bosch pump and a large oil cooler mounted up infront of my a/c which has now a front mounted fan (rotated the fan and rewired it so that it blows) I will be controlling the pump with a jaycar motor controller linked to the AFM. They tell me the liberty intercooler is good for 200kw... way within the limits of my micra, i'd be happy with 80-100kw stock internals.......

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
Right, mounted up everything just to be sure.... 3 photos driver, centre and passenger... See what I mean re Brake cylinder gets close. Notice angle of cooler to allow bonnet clearence. Notice no pipe from turbo to cooler, yet... I think I'll have to let a pro bend up some Al tubem, all sexy like. Alternator braket done, not real happy with it but its easy to get to to replace. Gotta find a place to mount the water pump (I'm thinking under battery or in the passenger bumper. Finish off the airbox, get some hose, mount a water temp sensor somewhere and I think I'm done. next will be the boost controller, programmable ignition with knock retard and water/alc injection but that's another story.....

Attachments

• 30564.jpg
    30564.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 31
Back