fag lighter?

Simonh

Midlands Rep
i havent got one...but i need one to use a sat nav? can anyone help me? if i get one from a scrappy should i get any wiring aswell or just the lighter?

iam not sure the wiring is there in the lower spec models. to make life easier you could just take the whole centre console then you dont have to swap the lighters around from the consoles and just fit the console you brought from the scarppers..

try and get a silver centre console ;) some k11's came with them!

i have a black plastic thing that pops out that the lighter will just slot into...but its how to get power to it...cuz my centre console is red lol and id prefer to keep it

i think you can take it from any live wire and ground so say from any live wire near the point you want the lighter i think you could take it from the heater control wires but check be for doing any think as i only done this once and that was when i was 16 and didnt realy know much about cars and there wireing let me know if i was right meny thanks

i got mine done professional, as i a newb when i wanted it done :p

Anyways, the guy there ran a live wire from the fuse box, and then just grounded it somewhere, and then attached it to the cig lighter, and its as simple as that :)

There wiring is usually there. It's the sort of thing you can do with a screwdriver in a carpark.

Hardest bit is actually sticking the lighter in, and making it stay there, so I'd take squarepants advice and get one with it in.

how has this gone for you? I had the black cap covering where the lighter slides into and the wiring already there tapped down. Did you find a lighter that fits? Im not to sure where to look as i dont know any scrappys near me or how they work! I'm 19 and new to this sort of thing.

the wiring should be tucked under the carpet on the right hand side, i used a cigarette lighter and socket from a mercedes sprinter lol

All cigarette lighters are the same size. But like, some have weird bits for the lights that stick out and don't let it fit in the hole properly, like my friends he bought from a motor spares.

The factory-fitted K11 lighter socket (mine has one) is wider than a standard one, I fitted the 4-way socket I had in my K10 and had to spring the side contacts out to stop the plug falling out! The lighter insert also doesn't fit the 4-way socket or the socket in the K10 as it's too wide. The K10 lighter fits the 4-way socket but falls out of the one in my K11. Just something to watch out for.

If you want a photo of the wiring behind the socket I'll be happy to provide it :)

BG

I'll do it in the morning when it's light, don't want to attract attention by flashing :p

It's basically 2 spade connections but may help if you see what the loom and back of the socket looks like. I don't know if a standard socket will fit the hole though, you may need to use epoxy to fix it in place since the hole will probably be a bit too big.

BG

I did mine a few weeks ago my micra is a basic model, all the wiring was there. I bought my little lighter thingy from the range for £5 and it works fine.

Maplin sell car accessory sockets, code A59FL, for £4.99. These should be suitable (but obviously won't be compatible with lighters!) Hellfrauds probably sell them as well.

BG

Bump peeps, same problem here, no cig lighter, only a black cap and an empty socket :s
A friend gave me a cig light from another car which feats perfectly; if someone could take a picture of the wiring it would be very cool

Cheers
;)

Thanks for the hints my friend (Y)
I'll put pics when it will be done.
Seems like the cig lighter was an option, and many people are in the same case, for gps mainly.

You can get an illuminated Cig Lighter from Halfords for about £7.00. The come with three wires - two red, one black. The black is your 'ground' or 'earth' - just connect it to the earth connector on the cig lighter wiring thats already part of the wiring loom. The first 'red' is connected to the remaining existing cig lighter wire of the wiring loom. The second red is to connected to the bulb that creates the illumination, and is connected to any lighting circuit that is only 'live' when the ignition is 'on' and the h/lamps are on. This part is important because if you connect it to any old wire that is live, it will drain your battery eventually. Ideally, it should be connected to a fused lighting circuit and all work should be done when the battery is disconnected as a short circuit can sometimes be a very expensive mistake if you have connected it to the wrong 'live' wire.

Still hadnt had the time to install mine the past week-end... For those who need help, it's the M30 connector:

It's quite a quick job, I was shocked as I was all set to be finding myself a 12v live and wiring it all in. It took literally 5 mins.

To be honest I've never used it. I just wanted one because it wasn't there and my girlfriend bought me one. win win.

I got another one for my car and ran 2, both through the original loom. Very easy to install

Back