how to wire up a 12V lighter socket

Hi Folks
I am in need of a 12V lighter socket as the car doesnt have one. So i bought the lighter socket of the right size thant fits the hole & an inline fuse. I now need some help on the wiring side.
I looked behing the dash & couldnt find any spare live cable or earth. All wires there are either for the after market cd player which came with the car or the fan/air control console.
I need to know.
1. can i splice into the stereo live wire or should i runa separate wire (preferably to the ignition).
2. the socket also comes with an LED light. where does that wire connect to. bearing in mind i only want the lighter to be visisble when i turn on the lights.
I am just a bit wary of taking the live from the stereo as it may overload if i have lets say, a satnav & stereo operating at the same time.
Any advise would be much helpful.
Cheers(Y)

Mine was under the carpet:grinning:

ok so i dug a bit deep & Volla! i found the T-shaped connection. But now the next question. the light for the socket needs to be wired into the light-circuit so when the light comes on, the dial around the socket will illuminate. any suggestions where i could hook that in? i have already worked out where the earth for the LED needs to go. its just the live wire.

Basically i did this the other day... Behind the blanking plate where the plug should be was 2 looms like taped up... I grabbed my multimeter and checked which was the positive and earth etc and spliced the halfords one i bought into the wires. There was also one extra wire for the light on the plug :grinning:

ok so i have had a double look but cant find the light source for the lighter socket. I have decided to splice into the light aim adjuster as its the closest thing to the socket. Job will be completed today. I was also happy to see how easily the dash comes apart (takes less than a minute). Thank you guys for all your replies.

Back