Engine transplant

CMF_Arightpest

» CMF Member
I have a yr 2000 micra that is a 1l n-cvt auto, but I am 18 and it's not cool for me lol. Would you be able to put a 1.4 manual on same mountings? And how difficult would it be to change the log book and difference in price for insurance? I am from uk.

It's either this or by a civic lol
thanks

CMF_Ando913

» CMF Member
Arightpest WROTE:

"I have a yr 2000 micra that is a 1l n-cvt auto, but I am 18 and it's not cool for me lol. Would you be able to put a 1.4 manual on same mountings? And how difficult would it be to change the log book and difference in price for insurance? I am from uk.

It's either this or by a civic lol

thanks

As far as I know, if you want to transplant an engine legally you have to send it off for inspection to make sure it's road worthy.

I'm from Ireland and we have the same types of road laws. It takes months to be inspected and sent back and then you have the take the time to have it put in you car.

Andy

CMF_ronin_kid

» CMF Member
it can be done if you swap the 1.4 (coil-pack)head for a 1.3 one, Frank is doing it atm i believe

geting the log-book changed involves dealing with the DVLA, which can be a bit of a nightmare

the killer will probably be insurnce - most companys will consider it a transplant, even though its swapping one micra engine for another, and hike up the price something stupid....

my 2p is go for the civic

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
It's normally cheaper to sell what you have and buy the larger engine version of any car.
If you went ahead with the swap, you'd need the gearbox mounts.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
ronin_kid WROTE:

"it can be done if you swap the 1.4 (coil-pack)head for a 1.3 one, Frank is doing it atm i believe

yes the head is a straight swap
and a 3mm headskim gives you a healthy compression ratio too :O

Attachments

• 49981.jpg
    49981.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 25

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
How does swapping the head help?
It's still a different engine capacity, so surely you'll still have trouble with insurance and with whatever government agency is involved?
How many people would actually know that the coil pack motor didn't belong? It's a factory fit, no custom bits to give it away and it's not like it's outrageously powerful.

CMF_Arightpest

» CMF Member
why would i have to change the head etc if i was planning on doing a straight swap? is it a matter of clearence? or just easier insurance?
the plan was for the 1.4 for slightly more bhp then a 1.3 civic. so if i ended up changing the head would that affect the performance much?

CMF_ronin_kid

» CMF Member
from what i understand, if you wanted to fit the 1.4 you'd have to swap out the engine, flywheel and ecu (including key and transponder due to NATS), as the CGA3 parts are totally differant to the CG13 ones...

putting a CG13 head onto a CGA3 block allows you to keep the standard ecu and flywheel (although you have to make up mounts for the dizzy i believe)whilst still getting the bigger bore/stroke....

i'm sure Frank will correct me if i'm wrong <grins>

like nz_aj said, it'll be cheeper and easier to just buy a 1.4 rather then faffing about with an engine swap....

CMF_Arightpest

» CMF Member
Didnt even think about immobilizer etc, thanks for pointing that out. think the general consensus will be to buy a 1.4/ a civic lol. the body work of mine leaves bad thoughts anyway, arches are starting to rust on outside. for a year 2000 its a banger... had to replace entire rear axle as it had rusted through too. thanks all

Back