Engine cut out issues

T

TJ_1984

Hi all! My naughty Micra is playing up again. Most nights when it's been standing out on the road for a few hours not doing anything I've been getting problems with engine cut outs. I start the engine, nothing unusul heard, pull forward about 10 yards and apply the break and when I hit about 5mph the battery light comes on, engine dies and all the other stall lights come on. I start the engine again, still nothing unusual heard, pop it into reverse and most of the time it does the same thing. I have noticed that when I put the break on the car gently shudders and the headlights dim slightly before I hear the tick over speed up and the lights come back up. I'm guessing this is an electrics issue but I can't figure it out. I find that usually if I rev the engine a fair few times up high then move off I don't get this issue.

NB: This morning it has done it for the first time in the morning. 5 times in total in a space of about a mile.

Had the battery tested and that doesn't seem to be the problem. To be honest I wouldn't expect the car to start without any issues if the battery was dieing on me.

Have had some thoughts, any one experienced problems with the ignition leads? My Micra is a 98 model and to be honest looks like it is still running on the original leads. I've got Nissan ordering me some in at £35 for the set so I will give that a try!

Cheers I'll give it a check! Did yours do it for the first few minutes of a journey as well then or did it do it for the entierty. It's interesting that it only got this bad this morning after being rained on all night

Back