Electrical problem

S

s3achris

Hi - I'm new to the site. The reliability of our 1987 (owned since '88) micra up to this year has been amazing, despite NEVER seeing the inside of a garage, 2 teenagers (and the wife) learning to drive in it and thrashing it around it has never let us down....until last week.

Symptoms are the dashboard Battery warning light is dimly on all the time and this (appears to be) running down the battery. I don't know if this is related but there also appears to be a 'whining' noise from the engine but its difficult to detect from where.

I think that there must be a short and have put a new battery on and checked the alternator as I thought the noise might be coming from there, to no avail (this only meant taking it apart and cleaning it!). It is a manual 1.0 collette.

Any ideas greatly appeciated (thanks to this cars reliability I'm a complete novice) - Chris

I will try to help you here

With the ignition switched on..but before u start the engine...is the battery light bright (like the oil and handbrake lights) or is it just as dim as when the engine is started??

AAlso, If you have a VOLTMETER and can use one safely:

What is the battery voltage with:-

1. Everything switched off
2. Ignition on but engine not started
3. Engine running

SammoHung said:
With the ignition switched on..but before u start the engine...is the battery light bright (like the oil and handbrake lights) or is it just as dim as when the engine is started??

AAlso, If you have a VOLTMETER and can use one safely:

What is the battery voltage with:-

1. Everything switched off
2. Ignition on but engine not started
3. Engine running

Thanks Sammo'

The battery warning light is dimly showing all the time (not as bright as the handbrake light for example). But once, the engine is started the light goes out. As soon as the engine is switched off the light re-appears. I have a voltmeter and will test the voltages as suggested - thanks for your help - Chris

sonic said:
it sounds like the alternator has given up.

Hi Sonic,

This was my guess - I checked the brushes as per the Haynes manual and they appear to be OK. Is there a sure fire way that I can test the alternator?

I was going to replace but wanted to check if a duff alternator might cause this type of warning light problem. Also the local breakers don't have any Micras of this vintage 87 - any ideas if a newer version would still be suitable?

Really appreciate the help - Chris

100% the alternator. Change it and all will be well. The dimly glowing light is showing you that the alternator field windings are not working properly, the reason for this will be the bushes on the comutator will have worn down to such an extent that they no longer make good contact :)
Also loads of alternators will fit the K10, best bet is to remove yours and take it with you and compare against other ones.

Ed

Back