Electric Cars

CMF_Micra Man

» CMF Member
Now with the rush to bring out "the new genaration" of motoring what really is the impact on global warming and our "carbon footprint"? We all buy electric plug em in every night and the old coal fired power station has to increase load re charging all those batteries.Also what happens to all the old batteries ? Re cycled? Man there will be millions of them.What is the cost to replace and how often will you have to replace? I think a lot of questions need to be answered before we all rush out and buy electric.

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
there's plenty of site re this but costing it out.. lithium polymer battery charge up to 2-3000 times about 4-5 years worth or even longer... and will be cheaper to run by about 40-60% over ICE... more the price of petrol the better it gets, besides what's stopping u from a bank of solar cells at home to charge the car and make the power companies pay you for it........

CMF_daily_ricer

» CMF Member
I'm in love with you fred :eek:)

hahaha. You know way more about this than me it seems.

People I know think I'm a dork for loving all this EV stuff and wanting to try it myself. It's reassuring to know that there is other dorks out there.

It's not a new idea. If you watch the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car" and do a bit of reading you'll find that in the early 1900s there was apparently more electric cars than petrol ones. There are guys building 11 second 1/4 mile street legal datsuns. <A HREF="http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/">http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/</A> Blue Meanie on that site has been electric for 28 years already.

As technology progresses, batteries are getting heaps better, and coal power will no doubt be phased out. As fred says, if you are guilty about using coal, there are people who build their ev, and have solar cells and wind turbines installed on their house to power their car etc...

I think at this stage pretty much all questions about Electric cars have been sorted, it's just convincing people and car makes that there is a market for it, that is the problem...

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
fred WROTE:

besides what's stopping u from a bank of solar cells at home to charge the car and make the power companies pay you for it........

p/v,s have gotta drop a lot more than $5/w to compete with your vast reserves of cheap coal tho eh ?

frank

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
hey, daily that's a nice site..........I am currently absorbing now & highly agree... it's the old rotary vs reciprocating engine argument again until they ban them from racing for being technological superior and make a class of racing that only allows 2 manufacturers of old clunkers......

CMF_daily_ricer

» CMF Member
Here's a vid from DateLine on SBS from a year or so ago... It's got WhiteZombie and the Blue Meanie in it with John Wayland showing us around the cars...

<div align=center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></div>

Is it just me or does John remind you of <a href="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0692634/">Brian Posehn</a>? lol. If your project definately goes ahead fred, I'm pretty keen to follow the progress.

CMF_david (2)

» CMF Member
http://www.waeva.asn.au/batrun_tutorial.htm

See following quote in the second point.

"The interesting thing regarding the off peak electricity, is that generation is largely independent of demand at night. A Coal power station is the third least "throttleable" power sources available today, (behind geothermal at 1, and nuclear at 2). It takes 10-12 # hours to cold start an coal fired power station. Indeed the night time generation is currently determined by what the daytime demand was the day before, and the projected daytime demand for the day after. Therefore, when an EV is charged at night, the increase in emissions is not proportional to the amount of energy drawn. "

This negates the argument about increasing coal polution by increasing EV use. Also, there is the fact that when the sums are done the pollution from producing electricity and putting into motion is still less from coal than it is from the petrol that you would otherwise use.

smidge

» CMF Member
great thread guys

its definately on my list of things to do in this life time

classic car with EV tech all through it, painted up nice and cruise around

smidge

» CMF Member
nah fred its safe, i just don't have the cash to do it, or the space to store it while i acquire the parts

i'll be using the space to chase 19 year old boosted car gremlins that will no doubt be having their way with my car very soon

CMF_david (2)

» CMF Member
For anybody in Sydney.
"AEVA National AGM & Sydney Open Day (18-19th October 2008)
We have several members heading over to Sydney to represent Perth at the national AEVA AGM on Saturday 18th, and the Sydney AEVA open day is happening on the following day. It will be held at the Nursery and Garden Industry Complex at 344 Annangrove Rd, Rouse Hill. Gates open 10-3pm, entry is free."

For those in Perth there is an open day this Sunday.
http://zeva.com.au/media/AEVA-Open-Day.pdf

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
ac is set up for it since it has no brushes...dc since 99% of all motors have brushes and have highly advanced commutators(that don't work real well as generators) it gets real complex... brushless dc haven't researched enough yet..... but I know with ac motors you have to buy the controller to match, siemens motors have pots for accelaration and regen (or engine braking) and a whole bunch of goodies that are on ev wishlists.... so I plan to use this and convert the clutch to a 2nd brake for regen (so most of the time I will use regen) but to stop (as in still) use the normal brake system.... of course in a mad panic use both!

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
fred WROTE:

"ac is set up for it since it has no brushes...dc since 99% of all motors have brushes and have highly advanced commutators(that don't work real well as generators) it gets real complex... brushless dc haven't researched enough yet..... but I know with ac motors you have to buy the controller to match, siemens motors have pots for accelaration and regen (or engine braking) and a whole bunch of goodies that are on ev wishlists.... so I plan to use this and convert the clutch to a 2nd brake for regen (so most of the time I will use regen) but to stop (as in still) use the normal brake system.... of course in a mad panic use both!

Thanks Fred. I don't know alot about electronics, but i am interested in EV. Carn't wait to see your new project up and running. I use to race electric RC cars, so i understand a little techo talk!!

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
I was a slot car idiot... cutting and drilling brushes to give more torque etc to get around those standard motor rules... then in slot car drags i just wacked a D size hobby rocket on the back of one and broke 200mph for 60ft (scale 1/24 quater mile), ar to be youngish again

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
fred WROTE:

"I was a slot car idiot... cutting and drilling brushes to give more torque etc to get around those standard motor rules... then in slot car drags i just wacked a D size hobby rocket on the back of one and broke 200mph for 60ft (scale 1/24 quater mile), ar to be youngish again

200mph!!.. Yeh standard motor rules suck sometimes, we use to get around it with our 1/10th cars by using cordless drill motors with heat sink on them., they had heaps of torque but not as much revs, got away with gear ratios but!!

fred WROTE:

"I was a slot car idiot... cutting and drilling brushes to give more torque etc to get around those standard motor rules... then in slot car drags i just wacked a D size hobby rocket on the back of one and broke 200mph for 60ft (scale 1/24 quater mile), ar to be youngish again

**** me. thats' a bloody fast slot car

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
I can't see why people like to change their names on the forums. If you're creating a new thread with the given name of your project, then yeah I can understand that, but it just seems to cause a lot of confusion when trying to figure out who's who. It took me a ages to make the connection between NotAnotherSSS and Yom when I was looking through the archives.

A username should be used to represent who you are, not what your project is. Personal opinion and you can ignore it if you like.

---dens

Back