ECU - Microtech

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
I'm running a LT-8

No matter what anyone says about them, they are a decent mid-range computer. (Of course I prefer the obvious though)

Actually, my mechanic noted how well the CG took to the LT-8 and unless you were running some crazy compression or extremely high boost (20psi+) he recons the LT-8 more than does the job

Not only that but there's a bucketload of people who can tune them and they're also relatively cheap

Sean

cisco

» CMF Member
Totally agree. I don't have any plans to replace my microtech MT8 (even older than LT8) any more.

The car has always been totally smooth and responsive and makes excellent power. Fuel economy is close to as good as its gunna get in my opinion, so I can't see any need for anything better. Very happy with it. And yes as Sean said, almost everyone can tune the Microtechs - they are the easiest to setup and install.

Yes they will do anything, perfect for a serious NA engine.

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Usually when you get your ECU remapped/chipped, all that happens is they add a few degrees of timing and a bit more fuel. This is because factory setups tend to run a bit on the safe side so that you don't blow the whole thing up.

With piggyback ECU's, you retain the factory engine management but the piggyback ECU intercepts the signals coming from the engine and alters them, so that the stock ECU dumps in more/less fuel etc.. etc..

Full replacement ECU's do away with the factory ECU alltogether and are much better, as there is no interception of the signals which allows for a much finer, more power producing and most importantly; safer tune.

Sean

CMF_Ed

» CMF Member
Have to say of all the ECUs I have fitted and mapped the Microtech range are the most backwards in terms of user interface. (This was an LT10) on a charade GTTI. They really need to make better software for them.

CMF_lam.666

» CMF Member
thanks ed, i would prefer to get a haltech but money doesnt permit so i might be able to pick up an LT8 for cheap

do you know if i can load the maps myself if i get the laptop cable?

CMF_Ed

» CMF Member
lam.666, the most bizzare thing with the Microtech (at least when I last used it) is you cannot load or save maps to a laptop. You can save them to the hand programmer, but depending on how you have mapped the car (i.e. 2d or 3d maps) dictates how many maps the hand controller can store. This is another reason why I don't really like them!

Paul, Why specifically do you want this ecu? Is it intended for a turbo/supercharged K11? The only reason I say is in my opinion believe it or not the e-manage is such a nicer solution. However if you really wanted to use microtech then fitting would be around £300 and mapping 35/hr. If one thing the microtech are very simple ecus and can be wired in pretty quickly relative to other systems (omex for example) I use.

CMF_lam.666

» CMF Member
i agree with you that is bizarre.

in aus, in order for an lt8 to get remapped you have to send them back to microtech where they charge you a fee to load the map up.

but if i can get my hands on a controller and the laptop dongle that should be ok, i think.

do you think that an lt8 with a sr20 map work on the cg13de if i play around with the AFRs? or is it more difficult than that?

CMF_Ed

» CMF Member
I didn't understand the send it back thing either, as it looked like I could change everything from the hand controller if I wished, anyway you should be ok.
It doesn't really matter what you start with, if you know what your doing you can modify any map to run, but idealy you want a turbo map as it will save you some time. Changing the base pulsewidth/resolution (cant remember what its called now) and making sure the crank firing timing is about -5deg should get it to start anyway and then you can go from there. But expect allot of wasted messing about in fine tuning the thing, and backwards keystrokes on the computer! You will get the hang of it however.

CMF_lam.666

» CMF Member
even better ed, i wont be going turbo so hopefully it would be less trouble.

i have nfi on how to install it, but shouldnt be too much harder than wiring in a head unit, same principles me thinks

just gotta save up some dosh for the ecu now

thanks

CMF_Paul Smith

» CMF Member
Just something cheap really to clear some horrible flat spots, Not turbo'd at the moment was gonna turbo again but in two minds as i have a few other interesting ideas.

I have a budget of about £300 - £400 for an ecu all in ?

I'm not sure i just heard good things regarding the microtech and k11 micra's and know one i have spoken has really heard of emanage. So i'm just a bit sceptical?

CMF_Raceworx

» CMF Member
no one you have spoke to have heard of an e-manage?? who have you spoken to there one of the most widely used piggy backs in the world... ed knows his stuff with the e-manage and like he said its one of the best things in your price range give him a ring and im sure he will give you all the details you need.

CMF_Paul Smith

» CMF Member
I spoke with RGS motorsport in wellingborough, DME motorsport and Jamsport. They hadn't really had any dealings with emanage thats all i'm not saying anything bad about them and i don't doubt ed's ability. Have you got any contact details for ED?

Thanks Paul

CMF_lam.666

» CMF Member
paul smith: if your planning to go turbo later on, go with the microtech instead of the emanage, if you have £300-400 its a better choice in my opinion as it provides more flexibility if you wanted to upgrade later on.

CMF_Ed

» CMF Member
It doesn't actually. I could get a much smoother map in 1/4 the time on an e-manage than I could on the microtech simply because its sofware is so much nicer.
The only benefit I see with the microtech is you can easily increase the rev limit. If that isnt something you want to do then I would choose e-manage :)

CMF_lam.666

» CMF Member
can anyone supply me with a microtech cg13de map

doesnt matter if its turbo or not

i can arrange postage for the dongle to be sent up and sent back and will give you some money for your time

Back