Easy Changes to Performance

Hello forum.

My first post here but Ive been a lurker for a while.

Was wondering (sorry if there's already a guide for this out there but i have yet to find one) whats an easy and cheap-ish way to get a noticable performance increase to a CG10 engine, I've been driving my micra for just over a year now and its a great wee car just getting a little tired of the 15 second 0-60 and not maintain 70mph going up a slight gradient.

Ive read a lot of people chatting about forced induction and installing CG13 cams etc but i doubt that i have the mechanical knowledge to perform such a swap right now.

So far all I've done is install an aftermarket rev counter (would still love a super S / SR instrument panel but i can never find one for sale) and that was fairly easy, however being an electrician I had to wish death upon the nissan engineer who put different colour coded wiring into my car than what is on the wiring diagram.

Oh and my definition of easy is something where there is a well written guide out there somewhere and i don't have to fabricate any of my own parts to do it.

Thanks
CAE

Fit the shortest springs and widest wheels you can, and don't worry about going fast.

or,

Make it light - removing unnecessary things that are already there is much cheaper, and often easier than buying and fitting new things.

Intake and exhaust will give you a few horses :)

A lot of people chuck an Almera airbox with a K&N panel filter in there with decent gains, or you can fit a pod filter.

Exhaust wise a backbox will only make lots of noise really but a decat system will see you really good gains (but obviously you won't be passing MOTs)

When i had a 1.0l engine i fitted a set of 1.3 cams, almera airbox with a K&N airfilter, 4-2-1 janspeed fannymold, janspeed decat, and janspeed piping to the rear with a sportex backbox which i currently have and does make a world of difference, but i had the urge for more power, so i just changed the engine to a 1.3 and kept the 1.0ltr gearbox giving it a quicker 0-60 time a pleasure!!!

J

When i had a 1.0l engine i fitted a set of 1.3 cams, almera airbox with a K&N airfilter, 4-2-1 janspeed fannymold, janspeed decat, and janspeed piping to the rear with a sportex backbox which i currently have and does make a world of difference, but i had the urge for more power, so i just changed the engine to a 1.3 and kept the 1.0ltr gearbox giving it a quicker 0-60 time a pleasure!!!

J

dont forget the 12v supercharger. biggest gain you didnt mention

Yeah but when you bolt it up and its running sweet!!!! and then you floor it, you are in heaven mate with the amount of PPPOOOWWWEEERRRR you recieve at the end!!! the best thing you can ever do to a car!!! and its cheap Yorkshire Horses!!!

J

Thanks for the advice guys ill definetly be grabbing a new air filter, ill probably go for a pod, will also grab an exhaust but ill probably hold off on that since it need MOTed in a month and a half and I can't be bothered switching them out twice :).

Also mark there is a speedbump right outside my driveway so low & wide probably wont went well, was planning on grabbing some ~40mm lowering springs or some corsa Bs then running on 14x7"s so they will be flush with the stock arches.

Skinner i would love a 1.3 however the 1.0 litre i have is a great quality little engine (only 30k miles on the clock) also I'm a very Do-It-Yourself person and it would take some of the fun out of if i let somebody else do it.

Edit: Wow that supercharger is extremely cheap, how difficult is it to fit them? I was reading a few blogs on forced induction micras (all seem to be turbo charged) and it always seems to involve redesigning your whole air system yourself, no bolt ons.

Edit2: I just had a brainfart, its an electric super charger! I never thought of those.
Also This: Skip to 10minutes for the fun.

The only reasonable option is to swap to 1.3 engine, and it is easy to do by yourself. We´ll help you if you run into some problems ;)

I have the 1.4 and it certainly would surprise many people with its quickness..its rapid when you toe it. When I first drove it I took it into my fitters to see if it was turboed (it had a turbo sticker on the back) He laughed and confirmed it was only stickered (me bad) anyway...they're quick.

Back