Early K11 Starting Problem

k11_998

Ex. Club Member
i have an early k11 super s, on an L plate.
lately it hasnt been starting in the morning, but then once i got it started it starts on the button for the rest of the day.
i talked to a friend and he said that there was a common fault with the throttle bodies on the 93 94 engines, and that i should go and talk to nissan. i went to nissan and he thought it probably wouldnt be that cos the car doesnt stall coming up to junctions, and said that it could also be the anti stall mechanism not working, but it probably wouldnt be cos usually that only happens if you run the engine for a very short time last thing at night (something about fuel pump pressure). so he wasnt really any use
i also know about the tps problem, but can anyone offer any advice
also if it helps i have noticed its been drinking petrol at the moment, but that might just be my driving
any help appreciacted

Check p;lugs leads and dizzy I would say, sounds like the flooding problem, but if you are not moving it a tiny amount the night before then it shouldn't be that, also throttlebody problems are noticable during normal driving

thats more or less what they said at nissan, i have now changed the plugs (the old ones were a perfect tan colour) and the fuel filter, i cant really notice anything at the mo, but i let you know if i cant start it tomorrow, cheers for the advice, i will look at the dizzy when i service it saturday.

in the morning does it start then die when you press accelerator? then start again n do the same then a few attempts later start no prob? i had this n i jus started the engine again while it was still running BUT I ONLY TURNED KEY TIL I HEARD RELAY COME ON NOT STARTER ON then it would come to life n be fine the rest of the day. my uncle who is a mechanic has had his daughters engine out n stripped n rebuilt but he cant fix it but his remedy is bump start it in 2nd n rev the baws off it should get lots of smoke but it while cure it for a month or two then when it starts back again u jus do as above again hope u under stood that :D this is his way to fix it most times even with customers cars and while there standing there, got in a fight once for doing it, customer was not pleased but it worked. try tyhis n tell me how u get on :D

i may have already fixed it, i replaced the fuel filter and the plugs yesterday, and this morning it started on the button, just to be safe i will be putting some injector cleaners in it, but hopefully its sorted.

thank you for yur assistance tho

afriad you maybe able to now

i went to the car this morning and it would start, and i was late for work, but we had hardly anything in for the first hour so no one really said anything

i will have to check the dizzy, and i still havent put any cleaner thru, if they dont work i will try a new anti flood thing from nissan

hope it isnt the throttle, cant afford a new one

finally solved it, come out of work today and it wouldnt start called the aa he probed about abit and its the cap, will put a new cap and leads on tomorrow,

When you say Cap i take you mean distributor cap? i have a 1997 1.0 k11 and at least once a year its doesnt wanna start no matter what i try. It has happened recently and i ended up rolling it down the hill to jump start it. i did think that i could be due to a crack lose distributor cap getting moisture in side thus not allowing to tick over.

I always clean my dizzy cap once a month - you get a build up of summat (can't remember now! ) but cleaning it does the trick :)

to clean it you need to get something like a flat headed screw drivers and scrap at the connact points.

yeah it was the cap, was getting damp and only producing a very weak spark, which wasnt enough to ignite the fuel which was causing it to flood, iirc the best way to clean it is a piece of emery cloth or sand paper, but i might be wrong,

thank you very much i'll shall get busy with the dizzy......btw do you or someone know why my widescreen washer wont work? i can heat the motor working but no water is coming out. When i pull the connecting pipe to the washers and try again no water, if think there might be a blockage but am not sure how fix it.

could be many things, if you no the water isnt getting to the jets then there is no point checking them, i would start from the motor and work towards the jets, if you can get on the motor, pull the lead of and see if the water is coming out, if it is then move along the pipe conections till it stops, if it isnt then your motor is blocked, could be bits of mould in the water, if you change the water it might cure it, otherwise you may have to clean out or replace the motor

i know for sure that i remove the pipe connectors from the washer there isnt any water coming through though looking at the pipe in side the filler cap its very very dirty thus showing there is stuff inside the system thus blocking the water coming through. As for the motor when sometime small amount of water does come out so it could just be the dirty and stuff inside the pipe. I was thinking taking it down to the hand jet wash and blasting some water inside to see that any diff.

could work if you can force the water down the pipe enough, might be worth unconnecting the washers so that the blockage comes out of the pipe and doesnt go into the washers, and the cleaning out the washers with the jet wash and if neccessary a needle, better safe than sorry

My washers got blocked up too, I removed them and squirted, loads of water came shooting out so I knew it wasn't the pipe, so i removed the jets and attached them to my air compressor, gave them both a shot of air at 130psi and that seemed to clear them :grinning:

Only trouble is, one of them has since blocked again, I think theres lots of dirt at the bottom of my washer bottle, the previous owner had lost the cap. I've got one on there now, so hopefully they'll stop clogging.

could be mould, i used to spend a lot of time cleaning out customers washers cos of mould in the washer bottle, either way best thing to do is wipe the bottle out and empty it, then give it a swish round with some cleaner, possibly a good idea to blow out all the pipes and clean the motors out making sure you put the pick up in water so as not to damage them

Sorry if this is slightly off topic but I'm just wondering... I've had a similar problem with my K11 a few times, it wouldn't start at all (starter motor seemed to go but the engine just wouldn't kick in), had to bump start it and it was fine (well, not entirely fine at first, but after a quick drive round the block).
After it happened a couple of times I realised it was when my dad has moved it for me (to a different parking space) then immediately turned it off again, so since then I've always made sure I don't turn the engine off until it has warmed up. So is this a common problem? And am I correct in what I think causes it (starting the engine from cold then turning it off again before its warmed up and then leaving it)? Or would starting and stopping it when its already warm kill it too?
Actually I've just thought, it has had the spark plugs replaced since it last happened, but I daren't risk doing anything that might cause it so dunno if thats made any difference :p

Back