Dry Sump

CMF_Red Menace

» CMF Member
I work for an engineering company in the UK. Part of our line of work is pattern-making for the historic motorsport industry, and so we have a good relationship with a local foundry.

I'm looking at getting a batch of dry sumps made up for the CG13DE. At the moment, for the sump pan only, the price would be about £100-£150 (is that about AU$250-$350?) but that price would drop if half a dozen or so people were interested. Basically I need enough to cover the cost of making the pattern, castings and machining; as regards making a profit, well, all I want is one for Red Menace.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Interesting. Anyone wanting to know the benefits of a dry sump there are heaps of web sites which will explain.
To me dry sump application only if you are into high perfomance and want to race etc.
Still would be interested in cost etc.
Cisco just what Bluey needs!!

CMF_Red Menace

» CMF Member
Basically it'd be a cast aluminium sump, shorter than the original fit part. What this means is you store your oil in a separate tank. This has a couple of advantages - because the crank is no longer thrashing the oil about in the sump, less power is lost there and also there is less drag on the crank when trying to rev up the engine. Also, the standard sump has a tendency to allow all the oil to go to one end when cornering hard; depending which way you're cornering, it may all flow away from the oil pickup and starve the engine. Putting the oil in a separate tank solves this problem.

To complete the dry sump conversion, a scavenge pump is required - this picks up the oil that drains back down into the sump and transfers it back to the oil tank. You'll also need a tank and suitable hoses. Again, if there's interest, I can look into sorting out a complete kit.

Back