dropped front door

M

magician

The driver's door on my 1993 SLX has dropped somewhat so that it does not close as it should. The top hinge seems to have worn. I presume I need a new hinge but does anyone know how to get the old one off? Are you supposed to unbolt it from outside the car? Would appreciate some advice.
Thanks
magician

You don't replace the hinge, you replace the washers and the pin. These are about £36 from Nissan for both sides. You'll need 8 washers and 4 pins. That should sort the problem.

yes from scrappers...

you do have to take wing off to take the hinges off easily...

if waqnt to struggle you cant try not removing the wing but trying to get a spanner through the gap...

getting a set of hinges off a 5dr is advisable as they will no way be as worn as a 3dr...

ed is ultimately right... but it is cheaper and easier over all to buy a set from scrappers...

£36, bladdy hell. I think I'll be carefull with my doors from now on ;). Or visit a scrappy for some worn ones, which, depending on the scrappy, might be nearly as pricey :laugh:.

Why bother? Phone nissan order what you need and fit it, or mess about in the scrappy waste a few hours and it still may be not much better!

You don't replace the hinge, you replace the washers and the pin. These are about £36 from Nissan for both sides. You'll need 8 washers and 4 pins. That should sort the problem.

that's on a k10. on a k11 you have to replace the whole top hinge. they aren't serviceable.
you need to remove the front wing to gain access to one of the bolts iirc. then it's just a case of swapping it over. you may have to re-align the door aswell, by altering the position of the new hinge.

Is that really the case? I stand corrected if so. In that case could you not just ajust the hinge if thats how its done to take up the play..

Is that really the case? I stand corrected if so. In that case could you not just ajust the hinge if thats how its done to take up the play..

i've often thought that tbh. i've never tried. the play would still be there but the hinge would be adjusted to hide it.

dropped driver's door on a K11

Thanks to Ed and to Swiper for your advice. I think I'll first try to adjust the hinge as you suggest but if that means taking off the wing then can someone advise how to do that and how difficult is it?
Thanks again
magician

Back