Drinking fuel

Ok i reckon its gonna hit 45 miles on the first 1/4, and you know i drove like a loon for testing purposes ;)

Anyway, the carb has made some improvements even if it doesnt fix the fueling issue. It doesnt die when i start her up in the morning anymore.

I will start driving more economically once its filled up, as i wanna see how much i can get out of her!

if the tank wasnt filled to the brim id expect 50 ish miles from the 1st 1/4 of course your dials could be inacurate if you've been fiddling and taking them apart ;)

Well thats always a possibility. All the pins have come off at some point because the dials used to be white. We know the speedo is out, but how will we be able to check the others are accurate? I might just keep a gerry can on standby and run it to empty and see how many miles i can get out of it.

When its on E, do you know how far roughly you can get before it conks out?

what you should do ,instead of speculating how much its used on the gauge, is fil it up ot the brim, so you can see it right tot he topo of the delivery pipe, and then wait until your baout empt, and then do the same again. That was you can see how much your putting in. It could be that your gauge is a bit dodgy.

Slim said:
what you should do ,instead of speculating how much its used on the gauge, is fil it up ot the brim, so you can see it right tot he topo of the delivery pipe, and then wait until your baout empt, and then do the same again. That was you can see how much your putting in. It could be that your gauge is a bit dodgy.

Cheers slim, i think i'l do that. Going back to the scrappy on saturday too so i'l get myself a fresh untampered with dial and swap them over, just incase my one is inaccurate!

you cant fit any other gauge into the super s dials mate as ther super s dials are totally different internally to the normal ones ;)

really? thats pretty crap then, and thats not what u told me on MSN either :p

i never said id fit it into the dials! did i? i said id retro fit it on in conjuction with the current one to compare the readings! lol

U best stop driving like a tart or else!!! :p

And it'll go under empty, u know how low mine was the other week!!!

Ems said:
U best stop driving like a tart or else!!! :p

And it'll go under empty, u know how low mine was the other week!!!
Not good practice though, as it can suck up all the crap from the bottom of the tank, plus the guage isn't 100% reliable, sometimes I could run it under empty, but one time it ran out exactly on empty - not good!

James said:
Not good practice though, as it can suck up all the crap from the bottom of the tank, plus the guage isn't 100% reliable, sometimes I could run it under empty, but one time it ran out exactly on empty - not good!

Yeah i dont usually let it run below 1/4 for that reason, have rarely let it do so in the past 2 years but i think on this occasion it'l be fine! The fuel filter should be able to cope with it im sure

I don't let it get that low on purpose, or as a usual thing, that was once that i didn't have any money!!!!! Or somethin along those lines!!

Ok drove past someone earlier and they said my car stank of petrol as i went past lol so seems like this issue isnt over yet! Because ive tampered with the fuel gage before, i picked up another which im going to install at somepoint, just to check the dial is accurate.

Not many other things which can be checked now, fuel lines, tank and pump. Im sure we'l get to the bottom of it at somepoint!

My problems could be over. Havent bothered testing the replacement gage yet but ive so far got between 220 and 250 miles (mostly motorway) out of it and its just below the final 1/4 mark.

Although a couple of people i've driven past have said they can still smell it, i personally cant smell a thing unless im driving extremely slowley, or have just started her up and have the window down. Before, i used to have all the windows up and bomb around for ages and it still smells bad.

My fuel consumption is so much better since the carb was changed, however as its due its mot in a couple of weeks, im going to get the bloke to check the fuel lines for leaks etc and see what he comes up with.

The trouble is as fuel vapourises so quickly, we cant see any dripping marks or anything on the ground!

just as reference (if it helps) i see 90-100 miles for each quarter mark on my fuel guage. bog standard K10 1.0L LS

Courior said:
just as reference (if it helps) i see 90-100 miles for each quarter mark on my fuel guage. bog standard K10 1.0L LS

That sounds very good. Mine's approx hitting the first quarter on 75 miles if i drive it sensibly.. much better than the 38 it used to get!!

mmm- i wonder if mine has a problem then?

I am down to the 1/4 left line now, and i've only covered just over 200 miles.

For the size of the tank (about £28 to fill it up) i thought that was quite good, but from what you guys say that seems to be using a lot :down:

K10 said:

For the size of the tank (about £28 to fill it up) i thought that was quite good, but from what you guys say that seems to be using a lot :down:

Doesn't sound too bad to me, you'll be suprised what you'll get out of the last qtr!!!

K10 said:

Yeah thats what mine gets too, doesnt sound bad at all.

paul_k10_Lx said:
is the 1.2 more thirsty than the 1.0 and deos the ecc modle improve it any further?

My 1.2 is better on fuel than Alan's 1.0!!!! Not that his car is really a very good example atm lol!!!! :D

But i'll get about 330 miles out a full tank!!!

Ems & Arnold> cheers for the replies :grinning:

you were right:grinning: , got another 82 miles out of that tank and did the maths- 46.5 to the gallon- so i'm one happy newbie micra owner (Y)

Back