door hinge problems

CMF_LonePhantom

» CMF Member
Ah mine does that as well - it is an older car now!

Haven't had a chance to look at mine yet, I'd be guessing the hinges need to be loosened off and the door realigned, and then tighten the hinge bolts again?

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
i'd first try what LP said. remove front wing panel, loosen bolts attachin the upper & lower door hinge to chassis, lift end of door with the door nearly closed but not yet latched (using an assistant or a jack), tighten bolts up and test operation.

may take afew trial n error to get it just right.

CMF_shalon

» CMF Member
asdame WROTE:

"i'd first try what LP said. remove front wing panel, loosen bolts attachin the upper & lower door hinge to chassis, lift end of door with the door nearly closed but not yet latched (using an assistant or a jack), tighten bolts up and test operation.

may take a few trial n error to get it just right.
but i can see that definitely thats its the hinge

CMF_xero

» CMF Member
this is a very common problem with AE86's as well.

can re-align everything, but that may only last maybe 6mths. get new ones, and make sure you re-align you latch on the inside of the sill/B pillar. other wise you have to slam it to shut..

CMF_shalon

» CMF Member
xero WROTE:

"this is a very common problem with AE86's as well.

can re-align everything, but that may only last maybe 6mths. get new ones, and make sure you re-align you latch on the inside of the sill/B pillar. other wise you have to slam it to shut..

just as i guessed... can someone tell if the n13 or n14 hinge can bolt onto the micra, if not can i buy them online

CMF_shalon

» CMF Member
shalon WROTE:

"xero WROTE:

"this is a very common problem with AE86's as well.

can re-align everything, but that may only last maybe 6mths. get new ones, and make sure you re-align you latch on the inside of the sill/B pillar. other wise you have to slam it to shut.."</div>

just as i guessed... can someone tell if the n13 or n14 hinge can bolt onto the micra, if not can i buy them online

anyone

CMF_micrat

» CMF Member
It is usually the top hinge that gets the most wear.
the top right hinge is the same as the bottom left hinge, and the top left is the same as the bottom right ( front doors anyway).
so... just get a pair of bottom hinges second hand (preferably the same colour), lubricate them and use them to replace your worn top hinges.
this should make your doors operate smoothly for a few more years.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
micrat WROTE:

"It is usually the top hinge that gets the most wear.

the top right hinge is the same as the bottom left hinge, and the top left is the same as the bottom right ( front doors anyway).

so... just get a pair of bottom hinges second hand (preferably the same colour), lubricate them and use them to replace your worn top hinges.

this should make your doors operate smoothly for a few more years.

Good piece of advice there :) Looks like i'll be raiding the wreckers in the near future for a right bottom hinge then. Thanks micrat!

---dens

Back