Do these quotes for parts and fitting sound about right?

alfantasti

Club Member (Trial)
Wanna get some of the major wear and tear items replaced on my Micra K11 1.0 2002.

Do any of the prices I've been quoted seem overly unreasonable?
Unfortunately, there's no break down between the parts and labour charges, but I've had work done there before and they use quality branded parts.

Middle Exhaust Section Supplied & Fitted : £63.00
O/S/F & N/S/F Wishbones Supplied & Fitted : £150.00
O/S/F & N/S/F Shockers & Top Strut Bearing Supplied & Fitted : £301.00
O/S/F & N/S/F Track Rod Ends Supplied & Fitted : £54.00
Tracking Checked : £25.00

Last edited:
Wanna get some of the major wear and tear items replaced on my Micra K11 1.0 2002.
Middle Exhaust Section Supplied & Fitted : £63.00
O/S/F & N/S/F Wishbones Supplied & Fitted : £150.00
O/S/F & N/S/F Shockers & Top Strut Bearing Supplied & Fitted : £301.00
O/S/F & N/S/F Track Rod Ends Supplied & Fitted : £54.00
Tracking Checked : £25.00

Beyond Economic Repair; Definition.

A repair is uneconomical when the repair prices plus vat, plus price of what you could sell the car for in it's current state would be sufficient to buy you a car which you would consider a worthy replacement.

Most people would trade it in and spend their hard earned money upgrading to something a bit newer with less wear and tear, a year’s MOT and less problems.

The missed opportunity cost is very high in that there are better more productive, enjoyable and rewarding things to be doing with one’s life than the inevitable frustration of messing about with a 13-year-old car that is already beyond its plan designed economically useful life and needing so many uneconomic repairs.

Davey boy’s instinct is right on this one!

Last edited:
its not beyond economic repair, if you can do the work yourself.....

exhaust center section: £11.40 - eurocarparts
wishbones: £28.60 ea. - ABS motorfactors
monroe reflex front dampers: £120 pair and loads better than std. - ebay
standard front dampers: £30ish each - ABS motorfactors
front shock top mounts: £44.20 - ebay. think this is each though, far too expensive imo.
track rod ends: £15.99 pair - ebay

none of these jobs are particularly big or bad. anyone can do them with a socket set, some spanners and a torque wrench.

£25 for tracking is pretty good. quikfit (thieves) charge £32, and my local tyre place charge £28.

you're looking at a good £300 quids worth of labour you could save yourself.

those are pretty good garage prices, tho i doubt they are all actually "worn out"
were they mot advisaries alfantasti ?

those are pretty good garage prices, tho i doubt they are all actually "worn out"
were they mot advisaries alfantasti ?
One of the track rod ends was an advisory, so they're both getting replaced anyway.
There's a pronounced rattling from the left suspension area when turning right over uneven ground, so I suspect either the wishbone or shock absorber/top bearing.
BTW, this model has no anti roll bar/drop links, so I ruled that out as the culprit.
It's coming up to 100,000 miles on the clock with the original suspension parts, so I want to get them all done now rather than in bits and bobs in the future.
The front is a bit bouncier than it used to be, so I think the shocks are past their best.
I'd rather be driving safely, than worry about cutting costs too much.

As for doing the work myself, I did the front shocks on my Almera a few years ago and had mega problems with seized bolts.
Not again lol :eek:

Beyond Economic Repair; Definition.

A repair is uneconomical when the repair prices plus vat, plus price of what you could sell the car for in it's current state would be sufficient to buy you a car which you would consider a worthy replacement.

Most people would trade it in and spend their hard earned money upgrading to something a bit newer with less wear and tear, a year’s MOT and less problems.

The missed opportunity cost is very high in that there are better more productive, enjoyable and rewarding things to be doing with one’s life than the inevitable frustration of messing about with a 13-year-old car that is already beyond its plan designed economically useful life and needing so many uneconomic repairs.

Davey boy’s instinct is right on this one!

Unfortunately there's also an unwritten law ' The law of the other arf ', which states, that if a member of the male species attempts to get rid of the mode of transport that the female species so loves to drive, then the male may mysteriously suffer pain and torment for the rest of their dying days :rolleyes:

a rattle over rough ground is usually the bottom balljoint, branded wishbones, shocks and trackrod ends would probably suffice

The advantages of a newer less worn replacement is usually the preferred choice invariably appreciated by the more sustainable pleasant and reliable driving experience compared to the clunker shake rattle and roll ongoing uncertain safety reliability costs of a 13 year old car?

I thought the whole point of this website was to promote and hail the reliability and longevity of the humble Micra, not shoot the poor thing down in flames :confused:

Unfortunately there's also an unwritten law ' The law of the other arf ', which states, that if a member of the male species attempts to get rid of the mode of transport that the female species so loves to drive, then the male may mysteriously suffer pain and torment for the rest of their dying days :rolleyes:
I understand that alf, but, don't tell her and come home with a shiny new one wrapped in paper....and the rest of your life will be full of "erm" love and joy ;)

Back