Do I have the right gearbox???

Hello there,

Just an enquiry really , I have a 1992 k10. I noticed on the gear knob and in the manual it says 'manual 4-speed'.

BUT... I have 5 gears :/ were there k10 5-speeds or do I have the wrong gearbox? Also will my car run better with the correct 4 speed gearbox it's supposed to have ?

Thanks jack.

Does that mean you would or wouldn't reccomend it ??
To be honest I dont know if it's worth the hassle but my micra is rather slow and I wondered if having a four speed would help me get more out of it ?

Cheers for fast reply :)

From what I have read somewhere the extra gear on the 5 speed falls somewhere in between 3rd and 4th in the 4 speed, so your 5th is actually equivalent to my 4th if that makes any sense:confused: Stick with what you have matey, I'm after a 5 speed so you're already ahead of the game :) But with other issues I may need an engine before box:(

Totally disregard what I said before, just checked haynes manual and according to that the extra gear is stacked on top as a genuine 5th gear so lower revs cruising in 5th and better mpg's. Cant for the life of me think where I acquired previous info :confused: Mine is very nippy upto about 45-50 and hits a brick wall at 98mph, on private roads of course ;)

Wow ! Is that screaming the balls out of it because I can only reach about 70 before I get scared to go any faster because the engine is screaming !!! I normally potter down the dual carrigeway at about 60mph tickling the throttle :)
I wonder why my k10 is so slow :/

You're welcome mate, maybe I should take a leaf out of your book then I may not be looking at possibly doing head gasket for second time :(

Aha yeah you should ;) I just respect the fact that it is a 20 year old car and you can't treat them as rough as newer cars :)
I am aiming to cut my springs down a little bit on the weekend :) should be interesting aha !

Back