Distributor crank angle sensor - question

CMF_Martos

» CMF Member
Got a fault code 11 which is crank angle sensor fault. Distributor is only 6 months old, still under warranty. Received an e-mail from the supplier who offered me 2 ways to rectify the fault. Either I send the distributor back and they will change the crank angle sensor, or they will send me out a new crank angle sensor to fit myself. Is this possible? I thought that the crank angle sensor was not a replacable item and when it failed the whole distributor was for the bin. Is this something I could do myself? Thanks for any replies.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
the dizzy comes apart pretty easy martos, sensor coil and body (left to right)

Attachments

• 54528.jpg
    54528.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 37

CMF_Martos

» CMF Member
Thanks for the reply, and the photo, Frank. Mine is a replacement distributor but I'm sure it will be the same. Am I going to have to get busy with a soldering iron? If so, it scares me a bit!

CMF_1300cc

» CMF Member
A bad crank position sensor can worsen the way the engine idles, the pistons fire, or the acceleration behaviour. If the engine is revved up with a bad or faulty sensor, it may cause misfiring, motor vibration or backfires. Accelerating might be hesitant, and abnormal shaking during engine idle might occur. In the worst case the car may not start.

just curious, is the above signs yo re having?

CMF_Martos

» CMF Member
Pretty accurate, lol. Hesitant acceleration, total power loss with engine randomly cutting out completely, mainly when idling or inching along in traffic - although once at high speed! Unable to start the engine again for about 20 minutes after it cuts out. The sensor appears to go faulty when the engine's been on for 30 minutes or so and the distributor gets hot.

Back