DIGI-CAMERA

quickdraw

Ex. Club Member
ok peeps
mainly to those camera experts.
aka JIM

what should i look for when getting digi cam!

want a new digi cam.
looking to spend up to £200

so want the shiznitch!!

good zoom. movie? mp3?

what can you offer!!

any examples and links to some excellent priced ones then that would be massive help.

cheers

wayne

Depends on what you want it for Wayne? I guess in general you'll be using it for the car, taking images at events etc?

For zoom you want the best optical zoom you can for your money if zoom means anything to you with how your going to use the camera. 4-5 million mega pixels will be in your budget and that will do you fine for everything you need as 3 million megapixels is generally thought to produce the same quality as a 35mm photographs. Shutter speed is something to consider for taking photo's such as what we did with the TOC on route to a meet on a dual carriageway at speed.

Most digital camera's now come with USB capability which means you can upload straight from the camera to PC without removing the memory card. A 256 memory card will held 100's of photo's, probably best to get a larger card straight away rather then upgrading later.

You can't go wrong with this camera below, I purchased this last christmas and I'm very impressed with the photo's it's taken. Ed was also impressed with it at Donny

fuji s5500

hope that helps...

Kev

Yeah I'd basically agree with what Kev said. but another important thing to consider is whether you just want a fully automatic camera (literally point and shoot) or whether you want to learn more about photography and taking pictures and therefore would want to experiment by manipulating settings etc. I started off with a Canon Powershot A70 before moving into the SLR world and I thought (and do still think) it is a great camera. For your budget you can get the new model of that - Powershot A95. Specs and samples here.

That camera will allow you to use it either as fully automatic, as well as giving you the creative modes where you can change the settings to what you want, not what the camera thinks you want. For loads of in-depth reviews and samples galleries, take a look at dpreview.com

cheers..
found the powershot a95 aswell and liked it!!

may well get ehat if it has your recommendations aswell. along wioth a 1gb memory card and card reader.

ne thing else you recomend i may need :)

yes a good camera bag and cleaning clothes for the lense, no point in having a good camera without something to keep it in.

Kev

the most powerful rechargeable batteries you can afford! and get a spare set too so you always have a set fully charged. have a look for some uniross ones or something. with the powershot A95 i wouldn't bother with any cleaning cloths or anything as the lens retracts into the camera and is shut away when camera is not in use. plus its not worth the risk of cleaning it if you don't know what your doing as you could easily scratch the lens.

The Powershot range tend to be really good. A range of automatic and manual features, and produce good shots whatever you do really, which is often important.

Get two sets of very powerful rechargables.. 2400mAh ones are good. The normal capacity ones aren't nearly as good. Even if the lens is covered, I think you should get a cleaning set as it will get dirty, and I've never noticed small scratches on lenses, even with lenses costing 5 times as much as you want to spend on the whole camera.

I wouldn't get an SLR unless you are really serious, as it's a waste of money. Cheaper cameras will do the same job for most people.

Don't worry about shutter speed - all cameras that cost more than £150 will go up to at least 1/500 second which is fine for capturing motion.

I personally prefer removing the memory card and reading it, compared to using the built in USB, but that is probably because my laptop has a card reader, so I don't need to carry a cable around with me.

Sorry to disagree with you so much on most points Kev... but I do have to agree that your choice of camera (Fuji S5500) is a very good one. Feature packed and works well.

I own a Konica Minolta Z1, which is quite good, but has some annoying problems that would preclude it from your selection, especially if you wanted to take loads of pictures of cars.

motion wilkl be quite impotant to me!!

the amounts of photos i take when on the road (not driving) is unbelieveable) normally though seeing barry cars etc. i just have to take a snap :p
im constantly taking them on my phone hich is annoying since the other is dying its death. and poo.

i will get a card reader as i still want to be able to load others camera pics aswell. without need of their usb lead etc! and for £20 cant go wrong!!

Back