Design Technology help

Robert

Ex. Club Member
Last Alevel exam tomorrow :D

It's DT, and I've been set a couple of investigations to be done to help prepare for the exam, a nice 3 hours.

Basically, this:

Parents can find carrying shopping difficult when accompanied by young children.
Investigate:
• anthropometric data of children aged 0 to 5 years
• anthropometric data of adults
• wheels and bearings
• braking systems
• the properties of lightweight materials

Any help anyone can give?

Particularly with the wheels/bearings/brakes would be much appreciated.

Cheers

investigate wheels?.....

theyre round, usualy,o_O and are used to allow objects to move or "travel"

bearings are usualy captured metal balls in a "Race" and can contain oil, metal balls, plastic balls or in a roller bearing can have small metal rollers again in a "race"

there are tapered bearings, fully captured, caged and thrust bearings

erm.... let me remember, its a while since i did Alevel DT....
anthropometrics.....

The study of Anthropometrics (human measurement) is concerned with the physical sizes and shapes of humans. Of particular interest are the differences between and among different populations (men vs. women, Northern Europeans vs. Japanese).

Anthropometrics literally means man (anthro) measurements (metric). It is the measurement of the size and proportions of the human body, as well as parameters such as reach and visual range capabilities. Accurate data on height, weight, limb, and body segment sizes are needed to design items ranging from clothing, furniture, automobiles, buses, and subway cars to space shuttles and space stations. Anthropometrics enables us to properly size items, including system interfaces, to "fit" the user.

i think thats about right....
then theres ergonomics... which is the use of objects and design of objects to be used by humans....

hope that helps

v-brakes are very good system (frome your bike).......infact any kind of brake that run's off the wheel as opposed to separate system!!

oooh i didn't take bikes into consideration.. cheers.

you think i'd need to consider ABS etc when the investiagtions related to shopping with children? Figure it'l be about trolley control maybe.. hmm.

what you have to look for is that braking systems convert connetic energy into heat energy... thats all they do... you can do this using motors, magnets (ie the ones on thrust SSC) rubber band type brakes (as in airoplanes) V brakes, caliper brakes, Drum brakes, to simple piece of wood on the floor..... they all do the same thing...

Back