Dead micra :(

And so today the micra decided to be an annoyance by dying on me :/

Ever since I've had her I always suspected that the throttle body was on its way out, idle was low, about to stall when starting from cold and she did hesitate a little sometimes. However, none were serious and I decided to soldier on with her as she was still drivable.

Untill today. this morn I noticed she took a bit more cranking to start, but nothing unusual. On my way back home the trouble started. Within about 10km I lost all power, managing to barley limp to the side of the road. Turned her off and she wouldn't start again. Breakdown man reckons its an electrical issue or timing, so I've taken it to my mechanic/electrician for a look tomorrow. Gutted :/

Any ideas as to what could be the fault? I'm praying it isn't something expensive as I've already blown quite a bit of money on her :(

I doubt it's timing as that would mean buggery with the chain which seems unlikely..

Hope it isn't something serious as the bodywork is in such good nick.

Good luck!

:: UPDATE ::

Mechanic says theres nothing wrong with the electrics side of it, the car's just not getting fuel. He recons its the fuel pump thats at fault, I keep thinking the throttle body has just decided to die. Any ideas anyone?

Do a fuel pressure test. If the mechanic is any good this will be EASY.

No idea about codes as the electrician said he will do it himself. Yes pump can be heard, sounds a bit faint, though that could just be me. How do you do fuel pressure test Ed?

Also, I've done a bit of reading and heard that a dirty fuel filter or the throttle body could be the source. I have no idea how long the fuel filter has been on her so changing that, but I think throttle body would cause rough idle not no ignition. Is this right? I can't wait to get her back on the road as I'm stuck on Arriva busses again at the moment :(

Thats a good point frank said then. Definitely worth looking at.

Electrician had a bit of a play with the fuel pump. it has power going to it but doesn't make a sound, no pressure in the fuel lines. I'm assuming it has to be the trouble

Yes I've realized that one has 2 terminals the other has a connector. I've done some research and the 94 Micra should have twin terminals, though not sure. Annoyingly my mechanic didn't give me the pump to actually see what I need to buy :/.

Anyway, bought the twin terminal pump today for 38Euro, left it with the mechanic and hopefully will be mobile again by tomorrow <fingers crossed>

Feeling a bit like a kid at Christmas... she LIVES again :D. Turns out when she was in storage the fuel pump got full of dirt, now as I started using her again all the dirt corroded the pump inners causing it to die. My mechanic also adjusted my low idle while he was at it. Total cost including price of the pump, 70Eur. Happy Times, let's hope they last :)

Back