DBA slotted brakes

CMF_Dean1

» CMF Member
Hi all,

I am in need of new brakes and have been quoted $450 for new DBA gold slotted roters and some sticky pads fitted. Does this sound good and are the DBA brakes good on a micra? I have been reading about the N14 and other pulsar brake conversion just now and am very confused as to what is going to be better.

Does anyone have any input for me?

Thanks heaps

Dean

CMF_littlebear

» CMF Member
Not sure if you really need to go to the expense of the DBA's if all you are doing is replacing brakes for everyday use.

My Super S has N15 front brakes and it pulls up notably better than standard. Yom put these on when he owned the car. He may be able to advise on what you should expect to pay. :)

CMF_sodaniel

» CMF Member
Wouldn't spend that much for DBA discs... again, speak to nsm as he can probably do a better deal. Instead of getting upgraded discs on the standard brake setup, just go for the full brake upgrade to n14 or N15... I bought mine off a forum member for $80 and it's better than standard set-up with DBA discs which i had before.

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
mate trust me if you want brakes these front i used are the bomb they are slotted front rotors lucas race pads and race fluid great for everyday use and no mods needed all up 320 to your door they turn up within a week and perform outstandingly

from now on i will use nothing else. I was going to go the pulsar road but decided against it

if you want i can pass on a guys number to you and he will give you prices for other upgraded stuff

Attachments

• 32482.jpg
    32482.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 26

smidge

» CMF Member
to me, for how cheap it is, i think it makes heaps more sense to upgrade to bigger and more importantly 'vented' rotors...

i did the conversion recently... get your hands on a good set of calipers from a wrecker from an N14 or N15 pulsar, ADF18 will be stamped on them, get some 1mm thick washers to space the caliper out a little bit and away you go

here's some pics and more info

https://micra.org.uk/cmf/message/31413

smidge WROTE:

"to me, for how cheap it is, i think it makes heaps more sense to upgrade to bigger and more importantly 'vented' rotors...<BR><BR>i did the conversion recently... get your hands on a good set of calipers from a wrecker from an N14 or N15 pulsar, ADF18 will be stamped on them, get some 1mm thick washers to space the caliper out a little bit and away you go<BR><BR>here's some pics and more info<BR><BR><A title=https://micra.org.uk/cmf/message/31413 href="https://micra.org.uk/cmf/message/31413" target=_blank>https://micra.org.uk/cmf/message/31413</A><BR>

GTIR calipers... all the way :) Rda slotted rotors, just as good, heaps cheaper.

gtrholic has 15'' wattanabe's on his car.. they clear with a 5mm spacer i think... don't think you could go any smaller in wheel size.. as from memory i think the caliper almost touches the wheel as it is. same deal with conversion though.. just need a 1mm washer, everything else bolts up, .. lines, calipers, oem gtir rotors, etc.

CMF_sodaniel

» CMF Member
As smidge pointed out, the biggest benefit is the pulsar brakes having vented discs. I've done some track work with the pulsar brakes, and because they are a lot thicker than standard they can absorb more heat, which means less brake fade. And again you could step up to GTIR discs like the turbo guys use, the larger disc diameter has a lot more stopping power, but is a little front heavy (then again, with a turbo, who cares! haha).

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I can speak from experience that while slotted DBA front standard rotors do a good job, they're nowhere near as good as vented rotors.

The trouble is the solid rotors just build up too much heat and can't get rid of it.

Stocko brakes on a super s are good for one emergency stop from highway speed. No more - and really thats all you need for a road car.

What sticky pads are you using?

I used trw lucas pads on mine and they offered brilliant performance. Ask littlebear.

BTW littlebear - get a hold of the blue Fuchs brake fluid. Thats what was in it the first time round - currently its got the nulon high performance stuff but the pedal just doesn't have as much feeling as the fuchs fluid offered.

That will also complete the ABS flush.

CMF_sarge3uk

» CMF Member
my discs i fitted are absoutley incredible and used blue print pads im well in pressed got a special discount with been a mechanic £65 ponud sterling should retail well over £100 pound sterling to general public

Attachments

• 32517.jpg
    32517.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 34

CMF_Dean1

» CMF Member
sikK11 WROTE:

"mate trust me if you want brakes these front i used are the bomb they are slotted front rotors lucas race pads and race fluid great for everyday use and no mods needed all up 320 to your door they turn up within a week and perform outstandingly<BR><BR><BR>from now on i will use nothing else. I was going to go the pulsar road but decided against it<BR><BR>if you want i can pass on a guys number to you and he will give you prices for other upgraded stuff

Hi sik,

Are they just standard sized discs? I have gone ahead with the DBAs as I ****ed up and told the guy to order them. It is 140 each for DBA slotteds and 140 for Bendix ultimate brake pads. He is using dot 4 brake fluid and has quoted $425 for the lot fitted. I think it is reasonable as I am buying it all on AGC as I cant afford to pay anything upfront at the moment so it would have been difficult to get the N14 or N15 setup anyways. The brakes are completely stuffed at the moment with massive ridges on the rotors.

I will let you guys know how it is.

Dean

CMF_Dean1

» CMF Member
sarge3uk WROTE:

"my discs i fitted are absoutley incredible and used blue print pads im well in pressed got a special discount with been a mechanic £65 ponud sterling should retail well over £100 pound sterling to general public

hey sarge,

Are they the same size as the standard micra discs?

dean

CMF_Dean1

» CMF Member
I just realised that the bendix pads are probably just the general passenger pads as the mechanic said they have a titanium stripe and ceramic technology which is only on the standard pads. Can someone recommend some good pads for hard braking that are no more than 140 a set and are better than the bendix pads my mechanic is trying to push me to get.

Dean

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
I paid around 100 i think for the race fluid and the race pads. But unlike other race pads they work really well when they are cold. Contact GSL rallysport.com his name is greg he was the one that helped me out.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
trw lucas don't make a race pad.

they have the one pad compound.

Its good for spirited street use but no good for proper race as it can't withstand the constantly high temperatures. they do however give plenty of warning before they fail.

I found that if i didnt give them a good heat cycle every now and again they'd start squealing like pigs.

Really theyre just a high temperature compound designed for heavy street and high speed use in europe where they don't mind sacrafising longetivity for better brake performance (something australians still haven't figured out).

smidge

» CMF Member
$140 is pretty steep for pads i reckon

benefit of bigger brakes is you don't need the uber expensive pads cause you're not heating them up and abusing them as much

i like basic street pads that aren't as agressive and don't chew rotors fast

if the micra hits the track i might change my mind but for how i drive i can't get the current pretty basic pads to fade

smidge WROTE:

"$140 is pretty steep for pads i reckon<BR><BR>benefit of bigger brakes is you don't need the uber expensive pads cause you're not heating them up and abusing them as much<BR><BR>i like basic street pads that aren't as agressive and don't chew rotors fast<BR><BR>if the micra hits the track i might change my mind but for how i drive i can't get the current pretty basic pads to fade

$140 for pads is cheap! autobarn want $300 for a pair of ebc's.. that's ****in insane.

CMF_sodaniel

» CMF Member
u serious?? 300 quid for micra pads lol

Don't worry smidge, on the track, you're not really using the brakes that much... flat out cornering in the micra:D my stock pads in n15 set up held up fine the whole time... I was expecting them to give up. you don't really need to jump on them in a micra for it to pull up.

sodaniel WROTE:

"u serious?? 300 quid for micra pads lol<BR><BR>Don't worry smidge, on the track, you're not really using the brakes that much... flat out cornering in the micra:D my stock pads in n15 set up held up fine the whole time... I was expecting them to give up. you don't really need to jump on them in a micra for it to pull up.

yeh true.. you don't... when you don't have any power to stop :)

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
I can't believe you guys would pay $140 for pads. $60 for a set of lucas pads.. dusty as hell but they don't chew rotors, have awesome pedal feel and most importantly, they stop ridiculously well.

I feel sorry for people who buy gear like those pads for $300 and then think they got a good deal..

---dens

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:

"I can't believe you guys would pay $140 for pads. $60 for a set of lucas pads.. dusty as hell but they don't chew rotors, have awesome pedal feel and most importantly, they stop ridiculously well.<BR><BR>I feel sorry for people who buy gear like those pads for $300 and then think they got a good deal..<BR><BR>---dens

Its worth it if you've got a car worthy of them.

The micra is a great little car no doubt but not worthy of $300 brake pads. :)

And yup, should be paying between $60 and $80 for the front lucas pads (k11 and pulsar calipers).

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:

"I can't believe you guys would pay $140 for pads. $60 for a set of lucas pads.. dusty as hell but they don't chew rotors, have awesome pedal feel and most importantly, they stop ridiculously well.

I feel sorry for people who buy gear like those pads for $300 and then think they got a good deal..

---dens

agree there. I used the lucas pad on the race track around hidden velley raceway and we did around 13 laps for the main race and they did not even look like faiding they are my choice from now on and fairly cheap at around 54 buck....

smidge

» CMF Member
turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:

$140 for pads is cheap! autobarn want $300 for a pair of ebc's.. that's ****in insane.

i suppose if you want the most japtacular pads then you'll pay that much, but around $90 was the upper limit for decent micra pads when i was at autobarn, and they're making 25% on that and can be bargained

Back