Dangers of racing at Santa Pod??

Eliot

Ex Super S Owner
Hi all,

basicly im really considering putting my Super S up the dragstrip at Santa Pod on sunday for the first time! However with 117,000 miles on the clock im quite nervous about something breaking. The car isnt heavily modified so the clutch should cope with the agressive starts.

I have loads of tread and a new clutch fitted so im not worried about those.

What are other likley possibilitys that could go wrong, because I really dont want to break it. Sorry about the longwinded question :wow:

The biggest difference, will be the grip levels. You will have much more grip on the strip, which can put strain on other parts. It's important that you get the wheels to slip slightly on launch to avoid this strain. However too much will increase your time.

Eliot, mine's fast approaching 90,000 miles and I can't wait to have a go. we've GOT to get 4 confirmeds I reckon to make it a real goer :).

Eliot, mine's fast approaching 90,000 miles and I can't wait to have a go. we've GOT to get 4 confirmeds I reckon to make it a real goer :).

Mate, Im definetley going and putting my Micra down the strip, I hope you can make it!

The biggest difference, will be the grip levels. You will have much more grip on the strip, which can put strain on other parts. It's important that you get the wheels to slip slightly on launch to avoid this strain. However too much will increase your time.

What RPM shall I launch at? I want a fast start but oviously not too much wheel spin.

To be fair just go try. The micra doesn't have enough power to do a burn out and loose on traction. At worse it will slip for just a second.

Ed, watching vid's on youtube, it mentioned that the launch area is extra sticky so in a low-powered car, trying to launch with huge rev's just puts a load of strain on your car?

I can launch quite nicely at around 4K RPM with very little wheel spin, if that's helpful! I'm running T1-R tyres though, and never had a go on pod! I might come down for the day, it depends on how my money fares to be honest. It's a £15 entrance fee and £20 to have 4 runs right? What time are the other Micra chaps getting down there for? :)

I thinks it's a tenner to get in and £25 for unlimted runs. If i leave at 7ish i can get there for 10 :).

I thinks it's a tenner to get in and £25 for unlimted runs. If i leave at 7ish i can get there for 10 :).

Ah thanks, just checked the site too :) Count me in then, I'm gonna get there for the opening time so that I'm guarenteed to get signed up for the strip! Can't wait to have a bit of fun and hopefully meet some fellow MSC members (Y)

Ah thanks, just checked the site too :) Count me in then, I'm gonna get there for the opening time so that I'm guarenteed to get signed up for the strip! Can't wait to have a bit of fun and hopefully meet some fellow MSC members (Y)

Good to see more people coming along. (Y)

Is this this weekend?

Just give it a thrash elliot (Y)

You coming Collision?

Almost no chance at all. If it does break (which I really doubt it) it was very very weak anyway. At worse your clutch will slip.

Yeah i think common sense comes into it. If you do a few runs with no waiting in between, you may cook something like your clutch. Dunno how busy it will be but that shouldn't be a problem if you're sensible :).

Go regardless of dropouts, I was the only k11 at SP last time Hugh and I tried to arrange a meet and it turned out to be one of the best attending days I've ever attended. Breaking things is a non worry also, just have fun and enjoy the experience :) but don't forget to post up your times ;)

Go regardless of dropouts, I was the only k11 at SP last time Hugh and I tried to arrange a meet and it turned out to be one of the best attending days I've ever attended. Breaking things is a non worry also, just have fun and enjoy the experience :) but don't forget to post up your times ;)

Cheers Lowrider, Im %100 going no matter what happens.

I doubt a standard k10 would break anything, so really the only damage you can do is over revving the engine if you miss select a gear lol

Good luck with the 9 to 10 second runs ;)

That's putting you quicker than an enzo, and quicker than most 600cc sports bikes. In a 1.3 K11, you should be looking closer to high 16's for a good time, lower 16's or high 15 if you're light and have a few real performance mods.

I've got 110 hp and just about sub-ton, if I can do 16, I'll be pleased :). BTW RTLkyuubi, I meant what time are we getting there :D.

haha I think I know a standard micra wouldn't do a 9 - 10 second run! it made me look twice when I saw your comment.:laugh:

Back