cvt - need a new one?

CMF_AnneWooderson

» CMF Member
We bought a 95 Micra SLX for our daughter as a first car. Not 3weeks down the track, it seems that the transmission has packed it in. Car still drives but not faster than 40kms or it starts to jerk/bunny hop down the road. It's very noisy too. I have done quite bit of reading on the CVT and I have come to the conclusion that it may not be worth the repair/replacement.

Can anyone give me any ideas as to the cost of such a repair and would it be possible to repair it ourselves.

Any help would be appreciated.

CMF_david (2)

» CMF Member
Hard to fix yourself.

Cost of repair could be between $1000 and impossible.

Recommend getting a second hand one from a wreckers installed. This should set you back about $2000 including installation.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
I've never really understood why people would go for a reco'd CVT box over a manual conversion. While it's out you may as well convert it all to something simpler ;) There's no guarantee that the reco'd box won't fail 6 months down the track and they're already expensive enough to fix as it is.

Though for converting to manual you'd need at least:

-Gearbox itself
-Engine/chassis mounts (if they're different?)
-Flywheel to replace flex plate
-Clutch
-Linkages and gearstick
-Find a way to link up reverse trigger for reverse lights

With any luck driveshafts aren't any different (would be surprised if they were) and you can just bolt all of it up and have it work.

<a href=https://micra.org.uk/cmf/message/21348>This</a> and <a href=https://micra.org.uk/cmf/message/26602>this</a> might be worthwhile reads.

---dens

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
So learn, assuming your feet & hands function normally?
The CVT shafts & CV's are supposed to match the RS5F31V
Refer EVLGTI's K11.
It's a simple bit of wiring to connect the reverse lights

nz_aj WROTE:

"So learn, assuming your feet &amp; hands function normally?<BR>The CVT shafts &amp; CV's are supposed to match the RS5F31V<BR>Refer EVLGTI's K11.<BR>It's a simple bit of wiring to connect the reverse lights

haha. yeh but unfortunetly some ppl aren't that well co-ordinated when it comes to driving manual.lately.. with traffic the way its been going, i'd love to be driving an auto car 99% of the time too.

Back