CV joints

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
Hi all. I have had a set of CV joints sitting in the corner on my shed for over a year now and was put off doing the job myself after hearing storys on how hard the old ones can be to remove form the shafts. I have been thinking of buying some complete joints and shafts from the few sellers on ebay. Anyone here got some from the sellers on ebay? Are they any good? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nissan-Micra...ZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3358a5d54a
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/A-PAIR-OF-CV...ZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item33591b0e6c

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
Hi mate. I cant see why they will be any diferent to what you can get in stores. If there wrong send them back. I brought mine from CBC bearings here in Darwin i am pretty sure they are aus wide though were about 160 for both sides and took me about an hour to do the job. But be warned i forgot this.

Drain the G/box oil first. I forgot about doing that and coated my drive way in old oil.... Sucked ass but easy job

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
Thanks sik. Did you remove the brake calipers or undo a bolt and swing them away? Never done Cv's before so it kinda worry's me if I stuff something up. Also did the Cv's have the rubber things on the shaft like the originals? I have noticed some after market ones don't show them.

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
what I ment about the rubber things are as follows in the photos

With the rubber thingos

Attachments

• 51428.jpg
    51428.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 28

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
they,re just a harmonic damper aint they ? (akin to a crank pulley)
and it probably depends on what speeds you can reach lol
and i,ve never seen a wornout inner cv, so its crazy changing the whole shaft imo (when its a 10 minute job to drift the outer one off the shaft, with the 2 knuckle bolts out and the steering on full lock)

frank

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
You can give it a crack but my one on my old lancer had to be cut off. It was pretty much welded on there. Was crazy tight. Hence why i thought **** it i get the shafts this time and do it my self. I cant 100% remember taking the rakes off i think i just undid the outer nut and turned the wheel then pushed it back through. Maybe undid the strut from the hub assembally. Failing that take it to a mechanic and get them to wack them in for you.

Back