cv gators

K

katk11

This may seem a really stupid question :blush: but i was looking in my engine bay earlier and noticed there was only one gator on the front cv joint on the passenger side but it looks like there should be another on the drivers side :suspect:. Am i right, should there be two?

Yes, you realy need to get it replaced and the cv joint greased up. You have 2 options, a proper cv gator, but prity much all the wheel/brakes etc have to come off to put it on.

Or you could buy a split boot cv kit, which is a cv gator that is split down the middle that you glue together round the cv joint. The problem with these is that they don't normaly last for very long, it depends on how well you glue the seam. Much cheaper doing this yourslef than getting the garage to put a propper one on.

on my 1.3 wen this happend i got charged 50quid for both sides doing,by a mobile mechanic,,but i did my own on the 1.6 as they was allready out,,preety easy if you have the time to mess about and get greasy!!

this needs doing mate,i wouldnt drive about in it any longer while its like that

I plan to get one tomorrow, a shop up the road from me is selling them for 7 quid so ill get some grease aswell and do it myself. Just what i need 8 days before jae... grr

Really i thought they'd be easier to fit :eek:, granted they dont last very long but if i need one now i can always buy a more reliable one after jae. o_O

i've swapped both my CV boots over and a CV joint. it's a bit tricky if you don't know what your doing and in this heat you'll prob end up cursing alot!

does the car make a clicking noise when you have the wheels on full lock? if there isn't a CV boot then there wouldn't be much lube which means the joint could break down (hence the clicking noise). if this has happened your best off getting a new joint (most come with CV boots any way and the isn't much harder).

Thanks for the info, i never had any clicking noises though.
I had a better look the other day there is a boot directly behind each wheel, there is also another boot further along the cv joint on the passenger side (the one i mentioned i saw before).
On the drivers side there appears to be a space and a 'rubber washer' (sorry if my names of things ar'nt right) like the ones you get with the boots. but no boot is there! :suspect: fwn

katk11 said:
Really i thought they'd be easier to fit :eek:, granted they dont last very long but if i need one now i can always buy a more reliable one after jae. o_O

Yeah, they are easier to fit, but still need the driveshafts out, so you are only saving a small amount of work.

Saying that, you don't have to take them out, but it is a right pain trying to do it in a confined space.

if this was me ,ide get a glue on one til after jae,then take to a garage to do it with a proper one wen you get bak from jae

also depends if its the hub side cv,as it wont need to be removed from gearbox if it is

Hi ppl..

I have a Nissan March DX, K10 model and i need to change the outer CV gator hub side on the passenger side. also i have to change the ball joint on the wishbone. I would like to know the correct procedure to change the CV gator mentioned above. Do i have to remove the drive shaft from the gearbox ? or can i insert the cv gator from the hub side ?? Do i need a special tool ? How can i open the cv gator to pass through the CV joint, on the hub side?

One final question, if i remove the drive shaft, would there be compications ? what happens on the gearbox side? because if i remove the shaft, i wil change both gators. If i remove the driveshaft from the gearbox side, to change the gator, do i have to dismantle the cv joint, so that i can insert both gator ?

Thanks a lot.. Please urgent ! :S

Back