Custom K11 cargo are buildup

CMF_Ghetto Micra

» CMF Member
so i finally built the cargo space in the back of my micra.

i'm always carting things around in it, this just makes life so much easier. I havent had rear seats in the micra for a long time, and the rear space was uneven and awkward, not any more.

all thats left is to carpet it up :)

CMF_Ghetto Micra

» CMF Member
boom boom shake shake the room.

custom made MDF ported sub box with two (2) rockford fosgate punch power 6" mid-woofers.. haha, so cute. wrapped in vinyl with aluminium 'ascent' trim hahaha.

just need to carpet the boot area with some marine (frontrunner) carpet, and all will be good. I love it.

you wont believe what you can fit in there... HEAPS, seriously.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
All I can say is bloody unreal!!
Giving me seriuos ideas to rip the back seat out of Whitey and go to it.
Not so sure about all the" boom,boom, shake da room" but I am sure if I was 30years younger the Micra would be jumping all over thge place.
Yes some nice marine/outdoor carpet over ther top and it will look really smick.
Well done.

cisco

» CMF Member
That's fantastic ghetto. Absolutely fantastic effort.

I'm very impressed. <em>EXACTLY</em> what I want to do.

Totally agree re:micra cargo space. Its quite large without all the seats. I can fit a heap of large things in blue monster, its like micra ute. Definately would never go back to having back seats.

Tom/Yom, you've already saved all the weight from the much much heavier seats, buckles and belts all being removed. That ply would weigh nowhere near all of that crap, and I don't reckon it would be very heavy anyway.

Ghetto: Do you have any other pictures of how you assembled the main framework before putting in the car? If I can check it all out and determine that it looks easy enough, I'll do it all myself as soon as I get the car back.

Also: Does it attach in any way? OR just the weight of it sits it down etc. Do you sit it on rubber to cushion it against the metal or anything?

So impressed. This is an inspirational thread.

CMF_Ghetto Micra

» CMF Member
answers time.

I didnt get a pic of the frame before i put ply on it, so I'll draw one for ya. The frame was made with some screws and woodglue.. :)

the entire thing, including ply you could lift up with ONE finger. Like I said it doesnt weigh that much. I reckon about 6 kgs or so..

unsure of the grade of ply, i just bought what bunnings had, it's 6mm, and it's light.

the frame sits directly onto the metal of the car, it bolts on each side into where the rear seat hinges bolt in, it doesnt move, or rattle.

I'll be fixing down some carpet onto it asap. possibly even pick some up today if I have time after wok, wont take long to cut to shape and glue on.

it's pretty cool! hehe

CMF_Ghetto Micra

» CMF Member
you can add as much bracing inside the frame that you make as you want... my wheel hatch cover has a bit of MDF along the bottom edge.

the frame started out almost perfectly square. then I realised it'd be neat if I could still access the spare wheel, so i diced it up and modified it to suit. you could hinge the spare wheel hatch if you want, but I'm not going to bother, when it's carpeted over you wont know anyway..

the amplifiers under the cargo floor wont get too hot, as there is still plenty of space for air to vent in and out on each side of the floor space.

ea screw hole was pre-drilled and countersunk before screwing together. the frame was also woodglued together with the screws, but not the ply deck, incase i need to remove (esp because of the amplifiers which may require tweaking)

if you didnt want amplifiers under there, you could have a secret compartment for your nitrous oxide, gun, baseball batt, or sex toys, whatever suits you :)

if you didnt want a spare wheel you could use the spare wheel well as a subwoofer enclosure, and have flush mounted subwoofers. I didnt go this way because a) i like spare wheels, and b) the weight is too much. at least with this setup I can remove that sub box in about 10 seconds. it doesnt weigh much anyway it's so tiny.. haha

cisco

» CMF Member
Bloody awesome. Thanks mate.

What timber did you use for the frame pieces? Rough dimensions?

I'm going to have a crack at this now.

cisco

» CMF Member
Hey the best thing. I saw your carton of Amsterdam beer. I love that stuff. Its a bargain from Dan Murphys/Woolworths. Always $29.95 a carton and tastes right up there with the good stuff Becks/Stella etc. Its a top value beer. Whilever its $29.95 and Becks etc are around $60, its an obvious choice for me. I slightly prefer Becks as a beer, but not for double the price, only when its on special. And Woolworths etc do that half the time which is good.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Good stuff Cascade,Boags. Good old Tassie beer.
Amsterdam beer on special down here to. Not bad.Good hoppy taste.
Gee Ghetto I think you have stirred a lot of people up. I can see a lot of Micra 2 seaters getting around in the future.
Could really pimp the back up with carpet also up the sides, reposition the rear speakers off da rear roof or sides and yep less weight plus a really handy mini station wagon.
For you young guys also opens up a lot of possibilities for after hours activities.

cisco

» CMF Member
Teeheh. Making me feel like a 6 pack of beer.

Never had cascade, maybe I should try it. Boags certainly is decent.

Yeah I need a solution for covering up the ugly side bits etc. Currently, blue monster has the factory moulded carpet things covering half of it, but there is a heap of exposed ugly metal still. Any ideas ghetto?

CMF_Napster

» CMF Member
Ghetto that is LUSH and at the same time Brilliant!!

just wondering then if you think u will add any other bits into the boot? or is weight still an option here? im guessing it is lol :)

cisco: NOT being NASTY here AT ALL!!!, but it seems u can just go ahead and build anytin lol :) if u havent got BLUEY then im just wondering about how u know the dimensions?? or r u just makin the first stage say "square middle bit"??

cheers

napster

CMF_Napster

» CMF Member
ohh well in that case, happy building cisco :)

didnt know u had so many lol
so u have taken the back seats out of all of ur micras then??

my mate did it to his, was one nippy little k11 that was around 100bhp and with no weight, actually SHIFTED really qucikly lol

napster

cisco

» CMF Member
No I just meant I will have a go at it *soon* when I get blue monster back. I'll need the car here to do it.

Yeah I have the white super s here to play with, but its my girlfriend's car. And I can't go pulling its back seats out heh.

CMF_Napster

» CMF Member
thats cool cisco, just wondered how u would do it thats all :) suppose u can do abit of designing though.

u know just look into ur girlfriends boot and just come up with ideas????

Cheers

Napster

CMF_Ghetto Micra

» CMF Member
ive had no rear seats for a long time. I never ever carry more than one passenger (my wife).

back is always full of my r/c stuff when I'm heading to the track, or if I dash into bunnings and buy a pile of house stuff, garden stuff, whatever. the cargo area is just so much easier now, easy to get things in and out now, just slide it in/out. no reaching over into the ugly depths of metal-ville.

the frame is MDF, and about 60 or 70mm slats, 16mm thick. you can make it as high as you want really. Just be aware of the jack position in the back so you can still get the jack in and out easily.

you could lay anything on top of the cargo area. carpet, front runner, rubber, etc. Originally I was going to have a metal shop make me a metal tray, with sides, so you can have sh1tty/wet things in there too (garden crap, etc), but cost is a lot to get made and I cant bend large sheet metal. Was going to do it out of 3mm alumn.

you could still make this frame and screw 3mm alumn onto it instead of the ply. but it will be heavier.

Amsterdam is cheap, and tastes okay, I've put a load of people onto it already. they freak out when you tell them how cheap it is. My other fave is Cascade premium.. and then there's coopers green, becks, stella, etc. :)

fyi I had 6 cartons of amsterdam, two cases of 12 bottles of red wine, four cases of 6 bottles of white wine, 10 2L soft drink bottles, two midori bottles, a blue curacao bottle and a few other things, all stacked in there at once. (alc for my wedding recently... I just got married hehe)

You COULD goto a foam shop and cut to shape a perfect size 'lil mattress' to put in there too, you can easily lay in the back with ya legs hanging over.. back it into the drive'in's with ya chick... nice. hahaha

The ugly metal parts in the back, well, even the factory carpet doesnt cover it all up. Another way to fix this would be to paint the metal in a vinyl-look paint that matches the colour of your carpet, then put the factory carpet back in. that would look tidy. Or if your handy with gelgrip and a heatgun you could mould vinyl onto every surface, that'd be trick, but hard. There's other things you could do but these are the most simple I'd say.

stay tuned for the fully carpeted final setup :)

cisco

» CMF Member
Awesome thanks for the info.

I was going to say I thought you used to say "girlfriend" and not wife. Congrats mate. That's awesome. So now in addition to running a nice custom rear floor, you're also running a wife.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Hmm may I suggest the use of thick vynil to cover the sides instead of carpet? Sure it won't be as pleasing as carpet but for what you use the car for it sounds like a better idea to me.

CMF_Ghetto Micra

» CMF Member
actually vinyl is easily destroyed from things knocking into it. say you have a crate or a box of some sort, or anything with rather sharp edges, knock into your vinyl, big hole/rip/tear.

carpet is the most durable without question. :)

you could have a cargo tray with sides on it so nothing knocks into the sides.

I'm still going to put a 'lip' on the edge up near the front seats, so things dont roll/fall into the seats or down behind the seats.. sort of a small wall... :)

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
This would make an awesome Micra shagin-wagon :D

Get some nice velour for the walls and a custom peice of foam cut for the floor, a nice disco ball replaceing the doorlight,
some barry white, and even a mini fridge in the spare tyre well.

Ooooooh yeh.

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Great work "Ghetto Micra"... You seem to have started a new fashion/craze !.

As you mentioned I would add a short "cargo barrier" to stop things sliding into the front seats. I also reckon a couple of those flush-fitting fold-up type cargo hooks in the floor would be great to secure the load.

I look forward to seeing the finished article.

CMF_daily_ricer

» CMF Member
This is GOLD!

Yes, I've noticed how much space there is in the back with the parcel tray removed and the back seat folded forward...

The question now is just how many members will be at the next big CMF Meet with this setup?

I have a feeling that when Cisco was discussing this early last year, there was the talk of having to have the car complied and re-registered as a two seat commercial vehicle if the rear seat and belts were going to be taken out? Maybe I am imagining those details...

I'd love to see an old school setup with the shifter converted to colum shift and the park brake up under the dash. THEN the rear bench seat fixed up front on the sliderails. That way if you ever need a snooze, you can fold the back-rest forward and flat, I am sure that there'd be just enough room for a couple sleeping bags.

Hehehe, there'd definately be more room to snuggle with Dave's old boiler hens at any rate...

cisco

» CMF Member
Well I had always intended on getting the engineer to add the 2-seater conversion into his certificate, but then a mate told me that his mechanic guy said that all you need to do is ring the RTA and have it noted that the car is now a 2-seater. I.e. no engineer certificate needed. So I ditched the idea of paying my engineer money for doing nothing and will attempt to ring up the RTA soon!

cisco

» CMF Member
Hey FYI..

Today I confirmed the laws in NSW and ACT regarding removal of rear seats.

ITS 100% legal, all you have to do is ring the RTA and advise them to update your records so that the car is classed as a 2 seater. Providing you also remove all the seatbelts and buckles, then its fine.

No engineer certificate required. I rang up the RTA today to confirm myself.

Attachments

• 12600.jpg
    12600.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 33

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Yah as I said in my thread of charlotte going on a diet it is the same deal in QLD.

We dont even have to tell them that it is now only a 2 seater. The only requirement is that when we get a RWC the seats have to be in it and when we sell the car it is meant to be supplied with the original seats ready to be reinstalled.

Easy.

http://bcrews.hp.infoseek.co.jp/car/m-rage-ji.jpg

Look at that picture. Japanese got an awesome little plastic trim cover on that ugly piece of bare metal we have..

Attachments

• 12601.jpg
    12601.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 16
Back