Custom center console

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Not at the moment mate, very slow project. Bought loads of stuff to be put on though. Got coilovers, still need modding before fitting, new brakes, pads, once coilovers are on I'm getting camber on the rear axle. Think I might start a new thread. Its not really about the center console anymore lol.

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Yes do :) time for you to move into the blog section :) what make of coilovers did you get ?
Yeah I should have started in that bit to start with but I thought this was a good place to start at the time as it was only about the console and now its about the whole car. I got myself some polo 6n coilovers but looking into changing the spring rating as I think its going to be rather stiff. Says 1000lbs on each spring :eek: Need to test it out first

Yeah well you couldalways get the whole thing renamed and moved into blogs :) admin would do that for you :)

Try them first , i just used watever springs came with the coilovers , mine were made by ta tecnix and i was very happy with them

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Did not know I could do that... Hmmm maybe better to start a new one from fresh. Will start one, once I've had a bit more work done to the car and maybe go over everything I've done already. Erm I will try and find out the make once I get home from work or even post the link

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Been awhile since I've done anything. (sadly no pictures, only been done today)
Final got the coilovers on. Although its a very hard ride, might change the springs for something a bit softer at the moment the springs are rated at 1020lbs each plus a helper spring rated at 100lbs each. Hardly any movement or drop when I get into the car. Just worried if I hit a pot hole, will the spring compress enough and take the shock or will it come through my bonnet??
I know a lot of people on here haven't changed the springs and keep what comes with it, anyone got any suggestions?

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
Been awhile since I've done anything. (sadly no pictures, only been done today)
Final got the coilovers on. Although its a very hard ride, might change the springs for something a bit softer at the moment the springs are rated at 1020lbs each plus a helper spring rated at 100lbs each. Hardly any movement or drop when I get into the car. Just worried if I hit a pot hole, will the spring compress enough and take the shock or will it come through my bonnet??
I know a lot of people on here haven't changed the springs and keep what comes with it, anyone got any suggestions?
900lb on my fronts was just about tolerable for daily driving, but don't ignore the affect on ride harahness the shocks can have

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
1020lbs?! :eek: Hope youve got good dental insurance. That's a lot of rate to run on a car that weights a tad more than a tin of Roses...

We're running 336lb fronts and 224lb rears on a K11.

OP
OP
Sdperkins
1020lbs?! :eek: Hope youve got good dental insurance. That's a lot of rate to run on a car that weights a tad more than a tin of Roses...

Haha yeah it is hard! And how hard would you say yours is? I'm thinking about changing the spring but I don't know to what? And I think its lbs, its just a number on the spring :confused:

h701micra

Deactivated Account
They sound about right.
Without corner weighting a K11 I cant give accurate figures but using Low Riders figures as a basis (if he doesn't mind)
Assuming a K11 is 800kg (1760) with a 60/40 f/r and 50/50 l/r weight balance
You've got 528lbs on the front corners
And 352lbs on the rear

336lb springs in the front give 1 57 static drop
224lb springs on the rear give the same 1.57 drop
Won't bore you with the rest.
Which to me would suggest a comfy yet controlled handling car :)

Shocks aren't weight bearing so the initial bump is absorbed by the springs. The shock absorber controls the speed of the movement.

Using your pothole example is known as a "high speed" example and can and will send the force through the car

OP
OP
Sdperkins
900lb on my fronts was just about tolerable for daily driving, but don't ignore the affect on ride harahness the shocks can have

How would I know about the affect of the shocks? I can only see the springs. I want to get my car low but at the same time not compress much so I don't get a lot of tyre rub with bigger wheels

OP
OP
Sdperkins
They sound about right.
Without corner weighting a K11 I cant give accurate figures but using Low Riders figures as a basis (if he doesn't mind)
Assuming a K11 is 800kg (1760) with a 60/40 f/r and 50/50 l/r weight balance
You've got 528lbs on the front corners
And 352lbs on the rear

336lb springs in the front give 1 57 static drop
224lb springs on the rear give the same 1.57 drop
Won't bore you with the rest.
Which to me would suggest a comfy yet controlled handling car :)

Shocks aren't weight bearing so the initial bump is absorbed by the springs. The shock absorber controls the speed of the movement.

Using your pothole example is known as a "high speed" example and can and will send the force through the car

Haha mate you lost me at the start :p

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Haha mate you lost me at the start :p
Haha it happens alot :p I live and breath it
How would I know about the affect of the shocks? I can only see the springs. I want to get my car low but at the same time not compress much so I don't get a lot of tyre rub with bigger wheels
You won't without shock pots and a shock dyno... believe me spring rates is easy compared :D
The stiff springs will be the manufacturer compensating for the lowness? of the car to keep it off the floor

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
So are you saying to have 350lbs front and 250lbs on the rear? Does anyone know what rate the stock springs are?
Bear in mind Low rider is only at like -40mm, if you plan on keeping lots of lows and running poke etc you'll need stiffer springs to prevent bottoming out/rubbing. At -75mm at front, standard offset wheels with 10mm wider tyres I rubbed slightly under hard full lock cornering (900lb springs)

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Woops, that's 280lb fronts and 224lb rears, my bad. Those are the stock rates on the BC Racing BR coilovers. I dare say the Eibachs were currently running on Koni yellow are less. I've not actually decided what to use just yet but that seems like a good place to start once we know the final car weight.

We're currently -35mm yes but will likely end up around -50mm, any more would require front geometry work but enough waffle from me :p

Any input on spring rates h701 feel free, I'm all ears to those with experience :)

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Woops, that's 280lb fronts and 224lb rears, my bad. Those are the stock rates on the BC Racing BR coilovers. I dare say the Eibachs were currently running on Koni yellow are less. I've not actually decided what to use just yet but that seems like a good place to start once we know the final car weight.

We're currently -35mm yes but will likely end up around -50mm, any more would require front geometry work but enough waffle from me :p

Any input on spring rates h701 feel free, I'm all ears to those with experience :)
It was based on assumptions but those figures would work out well. If a little soft. But it all depends on your final race weight and how you want the car to react :) I prefer a slightly stiffer rear for fwd as it stops body pitch and loss of traction when accelerating out of corners

More than happy to help anyone out just let me know :)
Goes for you too @Sdperkins

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Cheers dude. I'm still at a loss on what to change them to. If it helps on what I plan on doing to the car....
Once I got the money h701 will be in for a surprise as I would like my car stripped and a welded roll cage :p
Still to be used as a daily but also set up so if I ever fancy using it as a track day car I could.

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Cheers dude. I'm still at a loss on what to change them to. If it helps on what I plan on doing to the car....
Once I got the money h701 will be in for a surprise as I would like my car stripped and a welded roll cage :p
Still to be used as a daily but also set up so if I ever fancy using it as a track day car I could.
Like mine then bud so shouldn't be hard :D just build yours the right way round :p (I built mine backwards)
If its similar to mine I can help out more ;)

OP
OP
Sdperkins
I do like how the car handles but its very hard when it comes to bumps, but cornering and accelerating atm are awesome!!!!
So 350 on the front and 300lbs on the rear, would that be a good set up?

h701micra

Deactivated Account
And how would you say that handles? Coz stock is like a boat and what I have now (1020lbs) is like a road legal go-kart lol. I can live with it but not sure for how long.
It'll understeer if pushed because you've got too little give

Mine grip and grips and grips. It's a thing of beauty :D

OP
OP
Sdperkins
It'll understeer if pushed because you've got too little give

Mine grip and grips and grips. It's a thing of beauty :D

Ok so go for a set up like yours.
What about these spring? Couldn't find 380 so went to 400... I've only looked on ebay though ;)
400lbs on front:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coilover-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20db60e9c7
350lbs on rear:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141119510157?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
I think those are the correct sizes? I need to double make sure though.

EDIT::
I've also got 100lbs helper springs. Not sure if I should still use them on top or go for a lower rated spring (like -100lb lower on front and rear)

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Leave the helpers :)
Those springs look right to me. Typically the same colour. So if you've got blue ones you'll need blue ones... but double check

They look ok to but measure them to be sure

I've got a ga16 under the bonnet so mine has more weight to contend with you should be ok with a 350/300 setup. But that suits my driving style

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Leave the helpers :)
Those springs look right to me. Typically the same colour. So if you've got blue ones you'll need blue ones... but double check

They look ok to but measure them to be sure

I've got a ga16 under the bonnet so mine has more weight to contend with you should be ok with a 350/300 setup. But that suits my driving style

Cheers matey. The springs that came with it are blue, but I will double check and go for the 350 front and 300 rear. Just worried it might be soft :confused: lol
I do want to upgrade the engine. Want to stick a 2L in it but thats gonna take a long time to save up for it so been thinking about sticking the 1.3L in it as it fits the 1L gear box. Want a bit of power if I'm getting a roll cage lol

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Cheers matey. The springs that came with it are blue, but I will double check and go for the 350 front and 300 rear. Just worried it might be soft :confused: lol
I do want to upgrade the engine. Want to stick a 2L in it but thats gonna take a long time to save up for it so been thinking about sticking the 1.3L in it as it fits the 1L gear box. Want a bit of power if I'm getting a roll cage lol
Your car only weighs 600-650kg even with a cage... so that's relatively stiff for a K10 :p
My stiffest springs are 600lb/in

Depends what you wanna do. If were going cost effective power 1.3 turbo is adequate in a K10.
Ga16 turbo and ej20 turbo are overkill... but I like overkill

Rear of my car is marginally softer, turns in well without detracting from frontal grip... Personal opinions and all but Andy knows a **** tonne more than me

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Rear of my car is marginally softer, turns in well without detracting from frontal grip... Personal opinions and all but Andy knows a #### tonne more than me
In what way softer bud?
If you're happy with the way that handles then that's the main thing

Just an example of a common misconception :)
Remember your front weighs more than the back...
If we use that 60/40 weight example... for ease say 600lb front and 400 lb rear. You'd use 600lb springs on the front and 400lb on the back (you wouldn't but go with it)
F - 600lb / 600lb = 100%
R - 400lb / 400lb = 100%
But if we used 600lb all round we've got
F - 600lb / 600lb = 100%
R - 400lb / 600lb = 150% (bloody stiff)

Although it may appear that the rear is softer.... its not :)

Hope that makes sense

Edit: sorry @Sdperkins I'm slowly turning your custom centre console thread into a suspension thread

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Your car only weighs 600-650kg even with a cage... so that's relatively stiff for a K10 :p
My stiffest springs are 600lb/in

Depends what you wanna do. If were going cost effective power 1.3 turbo is adequate in a K10.
Ga16 turbo and ej20 turbo are overkill... but I like overkill

I just fancied doing something different and wanted a 2L in there but not gonna have that kinda money for a long time. But ease and cost effective for now would be a 1.3L maybe down the road a turbo. So if I'm gonna stick a 1.3 in there would you still say 350 on the front or 400??

Man, springs are stiffer for the front but I assume that I've adjusted the rear shock softer at some point without noting it and have just got used to the way it drives :p

h701micra

Deactivated Account
I just fancied doing something different and wanted a 2L in there but not gonna have that kinda money for a long time. But ease and cost effective for now would be a 1.3L maybe down the road a turbo. So if I'm gonna stick a 1.3 in there would you still say 350 on the front or 400??
A cg doesn't weigh much more than an ma10 tbh so you can still use the 350/300... maybe 350/250
A ga16 is a cast engine and bloody heavy

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Edit: sorry @Sdperkins I'm slowly turning your custom centre console thread into a suspension thread

Haha mate don't worry it's no longer a custom center console thread, I just never got around on starting a new one and kept this :D but I do need to start a new one in the blog section

OP
OP
Sdperkins
A cg doesn't weigh much more than an ma10 tbh so you can still use the 350/300... maybe 350/250
A ga16 is a cast engine and bloody heavy

I want something a bit stiff on the rears as the alloys I have and the new ones I want have poke so I don't want something bottoming out if you get what I mean

h701micra

Deactivated Account
I want something a bit stiff on the rears as the alloys I have and the new ones I want have poke so I don't want something bottoming out if you get what I mean
Those springs I've said all have travel
Only way to set it up will be corner weighting. But if your going super low then I'm afraid you'll have to stick with what you have :/

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Those springs I've said all have travel
Only way to set it up will be corner weighting. But if your going super low then I'm afraid you'll have to stick with what you have :/

Fair enough. Would you say they have lots of travel? If they do, I might go for something a tad bit soft than what I'm running atm maybe 600-800lb? I guess I can only try but its an expensive route :eek: