Cooling the automatic transmission

Hi all,

im doing the Mongol Rally in a K10 1,2 Automatic. Im a bit worried that the heat will kill the gearbox, especially if we have to fight our way thru sand and mud at high temparatures.

Does anyone know if its possible to mount an oil cooler to that gearbox? I cant say i've found any places where i can connect hoses..

Also there is another small issue, sometimes when i drive at constant speed the revs will dip slightly just for a split second and then come back up again and it seems fine. It happens maybe only once or twice when im driving around town.
Its been like that for the two years ive owned this car and it hasnt gotten worse either. Any ideas?

i thought that the auto box was already cooled standard? might be wrong tho?

Hm. I have looked down there and i couldnt definately see any hoses coming out of the gearbox but i might be wrong ofcourse. I also have a Haynes manual and it doesent say anything about it.

This is a fairly useful article if you don't mind some work...http://autospeed.com/cms/A_109772/article.html

Craig, thanks for that article. Im still trying to figure out wether the micras gearbox is even cooled by the radiator :)

well i was led to believe that the radiator out of the auto k10 had a seperate part at the bottom, for the gear box cooling. what years your car, as this was one of the later k10's, 90/91 ish

well i was led to believe that the radiator out of the auto k10 had a seperate part at the bottom, for the gear box cooling. what years your car, as this was one of the later k10's, 90/91 ish

Yeah mine is a 90. I gues ill have to take a second look! Everything is so small i might have mistanken an oil line for a wire for all i know :) The radiator itself is tiny.

Back