cooling system and oil questions....

CMF_qwerty132

» CMF Member
Hey all,

I think my thermostat is stuffed and is usually sticking open. I have got a new one and a gasket but just want to check with people if its the right one. The gasket pic is here.
http://www.dayco.com.au/productimages/DTG3.jpg

The thermostat is just a normal 54mm 82 deg one.

I also want to replace the Coolant Temp Sensor(the ecu one). I rang 3 nissan spare parts today and got different prices at each. The prices were $72(not sure of part number), $112.80 and $124. This is for part number 02263099B10. The last 2 said there isnt any in Aus and it would have to come from Japan.

I have been reading elsewhere and thought they would be like $50 max and the part was common to a couple of other cars.

Is there a non genuine option for the CTS?

Also, The thermostat doesnt have a air bleed thing in it. Is it ok to drill a tiny hole to make it easier to get any air locks out?

While Im asking questions,

Can soneone tell me exactly how much oil to put in when changing oil and filter??

Just looking in the junk mail I can see 10W40 castrol magnatec or 5w30 castrol edge sport.. Are these ok keeping in mind the timing chain is a little bit noisy?

Sorry about the long post...

Thanks
qwerty132

when the oil reaches the full mark on the dipstick.. that's when you stop putting oil in :)... wouldn't touch magnatec with a ten foot pole.. love's to coat itself all over the inside's of your intake plenum, spark plugs etc... not a fan of it at all.

CMF_qwerty132

» CMF Member
Lol I realise that... I just prefer to know x.xL so that I dont have to keep adding a bit and waiting a bit measuring then adding a bit more and the wait and check and.....

I would prefer to have a guide to how much it takes so that I can pour most of it in at once then check and top up :)

Ill keep away from the magnatec too.

I think HPR 5 is the other option that people use isnt it?

And if I do the spark plugs go for NGK??

Thanks
qwerty132

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Sparkplugs: NGK
Coolant: Genuine nissan mix & distilled water
Thermostat: Genuine nissan preferred (there's other bleed points on the motor i think? grab a haynes)
Oil: personal preference, whatever is good for the price. Around a 10w40 would be my pick. 20w50 absolute max - probably too thick if not a synthetic IMO.

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
The thermostat does not have a normal gasket and nissan use a liquid gasket. The nissan one cost to much so any good high temp silastic does the job as long as its one made for engines. I use HPR5 oil.As for bleed points to remove any air well its easy. Flush out the old coolant making sure to have the heater box valve open and refill till full. Leave the cap off and start the engine and then keep topping up the level with the motor running till the thermostat opens up. You know when it opens as it surges up the filler neck a bit and you can tell its now hot coolant and just replace the cap and top up the overflow tank to the right level.

CMF_qwerty132

» CMF Member
Thanks for that...

I havent serviced the micra myself before... Ive always taken it to a mech. Have worked on other cars though. With the bleeding of air, I just though with a small cooling system like the micra has it might be a bit more critical. Maybe not.. Will do same as with other cars.

Any one know about the sensor? Its the 2 wire one.

My problem is I dont have a Haynes otherwise I wouldnt be asking..

Any one got one for sale?

Thanks
qwerty132

Back