connecting a rev counter.

O

Oboema

I was wondering.....anyone ever connected an after market electronic rev counter to a K10?
I know the super S has one , standard, so the wiring should be present right?

aaah, right!
And do i connect the third wire to the plus, or minus (that's all i presume, without checking the car in the dark :blush:) of the coil?

no, i mean...
there's 3 wires. positive (red): power. negative(black): earth, and the third...white..where do i connect it to the coil?

soz for beeing a noob. ;)

Yes, the red wire is positive, it goes to positive on battery. Black wire is negative, goes to earth. The third wire hooks up to the negative side of the coil, there will be two wire from the car going into the coil, one is negative but I don't remember which one.fwn

I think the negative side of the coil has a minus on it doensn't it?

But yeah, the negative should be the one with 2 wires coming from it :)

I've connected a super S tacho on my k10 lx :
for the rev counter I've turn the third cable around the spark pug cable (sorry for my english, I'm from france !).
I'll send a photo tomorow.

Not being funny here - but may it be worth looking at the instruction that came with you tacho?

Reference to colours is no good, as different brands use different colourings.

As a rule there will be 4 wires. Its safe to say that a black wire is for eath. A red wire for switched power. A green wire going to the -ve coil and an orange wire for the ilumination circuit.

RE: RE: connecting a rev counter.

Slim said:
Not being funny here - but may it be worth looking at the instruction that came with you tacho?

That would be the easiest way, but i bought it from someone who didn't have the instructions anymore, hence the questions. :)

Illuminations is included in the normal + - wiring, so the third one automaticly should go to the coil. Wich should be the same for all models, except for the diesel ones. :laugh:

but I'll hook it up to the negative side of the coil, see what happens......thanks for the help! I'll post the outcome here.

Right, i got it connected!

There were 2 wires, and when turning on the ignition, and taking off the connector/plug/thingy, only one of m had power. That was the positive one, so i connected it to the other. This one only has power when the engine is running. Red/white in my case.

Works like a charm.

Thanks for all the help!

most townie motor factors flog them. Halfords do i should have thought. you can get them annoying 52mm ones for about £40, or the fast and surious style ones that go to 12k for about 100.

RE: RE: connecting a rev counter.

paul_k10_Lx said:
how do u do it on a 1.2 as the coil pack looks completely different to the 1l ive worked on before

Read the first part of the post, I have a 1.2 aswell.

Back