Clyde (1999 K11) - Issue

Hi Folks,

Long story short. Back in 2011 I bought a '99 reg K11 as a first car for my partner. She used it until late 2013 when we upgraded to a 2005 3 series. At that stage I didn't have a driving license as I take the train to work so we decided to give Clyde to my sister who is a single mother to two kids. It was given on an 'extended loan' as I wanted to try and hold onto the first car I'd ever bought for as long as possible. Recently our parents bought her a new car and Clyde has come back to me. I want to keep him running as he'll be ideal for runs to the train station when wet and as a general town runabout.

The issue I'm having is that when we got him back we went on holidays and just recently arrived back. I tried moving him but nothing was happening except an odd clicking noise and the dash display was erratic. Just today I've put a new battery in and the hazards immediately came on. Once you start the car up they seem to disappear but come back on and off intermittently.

Goggling K11 and hazards throw up a myriad of results so can anyone suggest a good starting point to troubleshoot the issue?

Many thanks for any and all advice,
Liam

Clyde.jpg

Thanks davy- I let it have a good dry today as the weather was cracking. I took out the carpeting and had a good look at the wiring to see any potential areas that could give trouble if they got wet. Eh, there's a lot of bare wiring/connectors. What's the normal way to tidy this up?

Hi Karl, it's fitted with an immobiliser only.

Thanks davy- I let it have a good dry today as the weather was cracking. I took out the carpeting and had a good look at the wiring to see any potential areas that could give trouble if they got wet. Eh, there's a lot of bare wiring/connectors. What's the normal way to tidy this up?

Hi Karl, it's fitted with an immobiliser only.
Hey bud, I'm no fitter, but give her a good run to dry out any damp issues. tape the connectors maybe?

Back