Clatter at idle

CMF_Thomas_Scanlon

» CMF Member
Hello Guys. Wonder if you can help.

My 1996 Micra makes wonderful diesel clattering noises from transmission/clutch area when warm and with an electrical load. This is only at idle, it disappears with revs above idle. Also disappears anyway when clutch is engaged. Also some kind of whirring, intermittent, same thing under load. Have to know what it is, as it has gotten worse.It really sounds like a nice quiet diesel. However my car uses petrol. Definitely not engine. Many thanks.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Sounds like the throwout bearing in the clutch assembly. Common problem.

Probably time to change the clutch (should come in a kit with a new throwout bearing) and the rear main crank seal.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
my old gearbox was doing the same thing...even after a new clutch/thrust bearing it continued..

input shaft bearing was thought to be the issue.

it still went ok and didnt seem to cause any problems, however since i got a 2nd hand gearbox really cheap i just swapped it out.

Attachments

• 20088.jpg
    20088.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 29

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Errmmm Yom..

The throwout bearing will only clatter when the clutch is depressed (in other words when you put your foot down) if its worn.. Not the other way around

sounds to me like the input shaft bearing as Aaron said. Mine does this too sometimes, its fine until you put it into gear and then it does it all the time regardless of what you do

Sean

CMF_micrat

» CMF Member
It could be worth changing the gear oil to something like 75W140. I did this a while back and the result was excellent. I can recommend 2 oils worth using. Motul 75W140 or Redline 75W140NS. The downside is they are both expensive- can cost from $30-$45 per litre depending on where you purchase it, I (through work) over the years have a fair amount of experience with high performance oils and can confidently recommend both of these as very good products. I hope this suggestion helps.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Just a quick question micrat - the nissan recommended gear oil is a 75w80 or something. Those oils you have suggested are significantly heavier than the recommended oil. Wouldnt using a thicker oil only "hide" the problems you might be having with bearings in your gearbox? I can imagine the shift feel to be a bit different as well - is this the case? Also, is there a noticeable change in how the car gets the power to the ground (like when moving from a thicker oil to a thinner oil)?

Cheers

CMF_micragirl

» CMF Member
My clutch pedal started "clicking" when fully returned, on further inspection, brittle little pieces of whitish coloured plastic were on my floor mat. Somethings disintegrated. Oh, and I have given the keys to my 21 year old son, who has only ever driven autos, despite having a manual license so I dare say I will be in further touch to see where to get a new clutch kit. Can't wait for my new Swift GT to arrive, just to sit in those Recaro seats will be a blessing. Cheers, guys

CMF_micrat

» CMF Member
Both the Redline and Motul recommend these gear oils for use in this type of transmission. Yom there is some sense that the thicker oil is "hiding" the problem in a way, but it does this by not thinning so much when heated up by a long drive. The gear shift is normal and because it is a 75/140 oil not just a straight 140 weight oil it has normal road manners. Yeah I could have replaced the bearings and maybe eliminated the rattle but it certainly would only have been a maybe. Front wheel dive gearboxes of this design a reknowned for the occasional rattle especially when hot after a long drive. I live about 80km north of Perth so it is not often that I have a short drive. The oil works fine for me, so try it if you like and see how it goes for you.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
micragirl WROTE:

"Can't wait for my new Swift GT to arrive, just to sit in those Recaro seats will be a blessing.

Elabourate please?

Ps: along with a new clutch you should also purchase a new clutch cable. Sounds like your current one might be on its way to biting the dust *gets into little jiggy jive to queen*.

Thanks micrat... mine isnt making any noises so i wont bother. Just wanted to enquire thats all.

CMF_Thomas_Scanlon

» CMF Member
Thanks Guys. It really is looking like the Input shaft of the transmission. Probably won't do any harm though. Was thinking of bringing up the idle speed to mask symptoms, as it only happens at a very slow idle speed. Nyacka, Nyacka, Nyacka, Nyacka, etc. Also will be giving car to my Dad, and I don't think it will really worry him. Thanks to everybody for input (pun?). Regards, Tom.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Congrats! Very jealous.. I'd love a brand spanker of a car. I like the micra but its just as well theres not really any cars on the market which appeal to me, yet alone what I can afford because I'd be in a brand new car quicker than you can say 3 door Nissan Tiida Sport!

CMF_Akinari

» CMF Member
bump!

this clatter sound is also happening to me.. but disappears when clutch is depresssed.

also, just recently, my engine stalls every time i depress the clutch. i can still engage if i depress slightly, but stalls if i floor it. you guys have any idea with the prob?

thanks in advance.

Aki

Back