Cig lighter help please

caphj7

Buy & Sell Member
:grinning: hi, i have removed my old radio from my 1985 micra k10 and there was a black wire with red lines on it that i had to disconnect in order to pull it out. i seems that this wire was connected to the cigarette lighter and now i have my new stereo working fine, my cigarette lighter doesnt work. would this wire have been the earth which was connected to the old radio? thanks adam :glare:

Hi there should be two wires one will be either Black or Red or stripped these are normally live, the other will be either Brown or grey this should be earth.

A good way to tell is in most cases the plugs on the back of the cigarette lighter socket are different sizes so you cannot plug it up wrong.

If you find any loose wires and have access to a multi meter check for voltage, if you don't have a meter then make a simple test lamp by the use of a torch bulb and two lengths of wire solder to the bulb casing and attach free ends to suspect terminals to see if the bulb glows hey presto you've found live and earth.

Charlotte

also another check:

instead of ballancing upside down with all the blood rushing to your head while you struggle trying to get access to the wire sbehind the cigarette lighter...you can:

pull the 4 black plastic knobs of the ventillation system controlls off. then prise the vent facial off the cigarette ligher will come out with it allowing you to see if both wires are still atached.

ALSO, maybe in the struggle you manages to short out the center electrode witht he ground on the cigarette ligher somehow....in this case the fuse will be popped

The live wire for the lighter isnt usually black as charlotte suggested, as black is associated with 'ground', throughout the car. On about 5 k10's ive seen, the wire is blue.

cigarette lighter

The live wire for the lighter isnt usually black as charlotte suggested, as black is associated with 'ground', throughout the car. On about 5 k10's ive seen, the wire is blue.

It isn't ? You're right it isn't Black is ground. I was looking at the volvo wireing which I've since found has been butchered Blue is live (most of the time)

Charlotte

Back