choosing a model

CMF_Gary Fintelman

» CMF Member
Hi guys, are there any/many micras for sale in Melbourne?

I found this site searching for info before i went out and bought a micra, and ive got a few questions, hopefully someone can help me out!

Ill start with;
Why doesnt anyone drive a slx? the only difference i see is +2 doors, and +30kg? the ones i see for sale are cheaper too... any reasons? is it purely aesthetics that everyone wants a two door? or does it in some way impact the performance?

Apart from timing chain rattles and afm dying, is there likely to be much other issues between 100k and 200k on the clock?

Expected prices... whats the going rate for an lx, slx, or super s (not that i can find any), with say 50k, 100k or 150k on the clock, modified or stock?

how does much does l/100km change with cai, ga15de tb, [perhaps bigger injectors if required?], extractors, cat, exhaust and spirited driving? if its less then 10l/100km, i truly am in heaven! [anything is better then a commodore though]

i guess some things go unsaid, but id love some answers from those in the know!

if anyone in Melbourne is selling, im interested!

Thanks all!

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
If its an automatic, expect the gearbox to die.

If its a manual, expect to have noisy input shaft bearings and most likely a leaking input shaft seal to go with this.

Expect front suspension bushings to be a bit worn.

If it has power steering, expect the rack end seals to be leaking (will always start out as a slow leak and may not be apparent when looking at them).

If you're buying LX or SLX expect rear brake drum issues usually relating to the cylinders siezing/leaking.

Expect rust in the lower radiator support/crossmember.

Thats about it really.

Standard injectors and ECU should not have the engine using more than 10L/100km without you noticing there's something seriously wrong with it!

Site member aaron is selling a Super S... Needs a little bit of work but IMO, better the devil you know than the devil you don't!

CMF_Gary Fintelman

» CMF Member
so not tooooo bad a problems long term, and once a intake and exhaust mods are done still uses less then 10/100km,

the main argument i see for trying to get a super s is is rear discs, and a tacho....do you need either? surely stock drums and n14 discs do the job superbly? plus i have ears and the micra has a rev limiter/cant get enough fuel.

any comments from slx owners? is four doors way to uncool? or is it just coincidence nearly no one owns them?

whats the difference between ps/no ps less turns lock to lock? does anyone actual have problems with a 3 point turn? i soooo need to get out and drive some...

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I have no issues with doing u turns. Its got an awesomely tight turning circle for a FWD'er. I get pissed off coming from a 4x4 though as i dont have to worry about my turning circle with them. Just drive right over anything.

Almost come unstuck quite a few times in the micra when i'm not paying attention lol

and yes the disc brake setups standard pull up much cleaner than the rear drums.

CMF_jay85

» CMF Member
hey gary.... i own a 4 door... i like the look but u=i cant sit anyone in the back... but thats cause of my rim choice... the choice is up to you... there isnt much difference between the 2... if you are wanting to carry people alot i would go the slx for ease of getting in and out of the back seats. but if its the other side then the 2 door is the way to go.

Attachments

• 27976.jpg
    27976.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 30

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Hi Gary, I've only owned SLX's. In my opinion they give you the best value for money. Especially the Series 1 version.

I've never driven the 4 disc brake Micra so cannot comment but a front disc brake car with the N14/1.6 modification has braked pretty well.

I doubt there would be a lot of difference in outright performance in the real world between a 4 door car and a 2 door car. Weight does count if your after every little bit but I don't think it matters in day to day use.

If you check other posts you will see my original car has done over 300,000k's without major problems.

Mychael

Back