cheap way to sound deaden?

CMF_bethpegs

» CMF Member
g'day! just wondering what i could do to deaden some of the noise in my car? is there some cheap foam or matting i can buy and stick it in the doors or carpet? etc etc. or how about that spray sound deadener for the underside?

help! cheers!

CMF_MicraNut

» CMF Member
bethpegs WROTE:

"g'day! just wondering what i could do to deaden some of the noise in my car? is there some cheap foam or matting i can buy and stick it in the doors or carpet? etc etc. or how about that spray sound deadener for the underside?<BR><BR>help! cheers!

You can buy Body underseal. that helps to deaden sound as it it painted to the underside of the car and it helps prevent corrosion too. I use Waxoyl body underseal.

cisco

» CMF Member
I spent a fortune on blue monster with expensive adhesive bitumen sheets and these thick blended tar mats from Jaycar.

It slightly quietened the car down, I ended up getting it pretty good, but Blue Monster always had some deep down core evil exhaust vibration coming from somewhere that could never be traced. Noone ever managed to find the cause and I had 3 separate places look at it. It wasn't massively annoying, but a bit when I wanted the car dead silent :)

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Fact of the matter is that Nissan know what they're doing in blocking off noise. You spend hundreds on sound deadening but all you'll do is make the car heavier and probably promote future rust spots.. All for the sake of mabye 2dB less noise in the cabin.

The majority of noise in my K11 is from the exhaust and roof line/window seals/other related wind noise.

ie: i can't get rid of it as its an aerodynamics thing

CMF_bethpegs

» CMF Member
thanks for all your replies. i mite have a look in clark rubber. i've got some spray on stuff for the wheel arches too. it's not a big deal tho.

but i hate damn squeaks! ive padded my parcel shelf time and time again- and it won't let up! i can't get rid of it coz my speakers are on it.. i think im gonna get some thin rbber and felt and completely cover the parts that the parcel shelf sits on. i've stuck foam in my doors too because the panels rattled against the fram when my music was on! it's never ending!

thanks again!!

ps. got my wheels last saturday! tiny, but look rad!

CMF_bethpegs

» CMF Member
umm... well something in the back.... i put felt over the parcel shelf (where the shelf or hatch sits on) and it still squeaks. i got rid of the rattle, but not the squeak. im proud of the felt job, but doesnt work!?!?!?

and my dash rattles too- somewhere near the centre and to the passenger side- near the glove box. i can't get it to stop :(

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
The centre consul will sometimes develop a squeak. Mine has it.I must get around to pulling it out and fitting new foam to the back of it.

As a test to see if the hatch is squeaking, get some grease and put it on the rubbers of the hatch where they contact the body.See if it stops the noise.
You could also try adjusting the hatch latch on the rear sill, loosen the two bolts and push the "U" shaped bracket further back (as in towards front of car) that can help to make the hatch hold down tighter when shut.. Overdo it and you might find it hard to unlatch, bit of trial and error.

Mychael

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
My dashboard squeak was the radio mount.
Rear hatch can squeak if the catch/rubber doesn't keep it tight enough to the body.
My rear number plate rattled too. A JDM K11 only has top bolt holes & the NZ number plates are't the tall European/Japanese size so they don't go low enough to fit into the bottom hooks.

CMF_bethpegs

» CMF Member
thanks! i dont think it's those rubber bits coz ive got sponge n felt.... it could be where the bolts are. they seem to loosen quickly.

so should i pull out the centre console? how do u do it? is it just those 4 screws, or does it still stay attached? it drives me nuts...... all the time!

thanks!!

CMF_jay22

» CMF Member
its the four screws. two at the top end then two behind the ashtray. then lift it out from the bottom and the aircon vents will pop out. then unplug the cigi lighter and the rear demister and hazard switch. and thats it. really really easy.

CMF_bethpegs

» CMF Member
so.... i have taken out my doors and relined them with some foamy material stuff... and well, they still vibrate.... beats me how! i think perhaps it's the windows vibrating... not much i can do about that is there?

also the passenger side speaker cover (or around that area) vibrates too.. i can't work out how either!!

third problem- i pulled out half my centre console- it was still attached by my cd head unit- i didn't want to fiddle with that in case i broke it- what should i do with that? i put some double sided tape in the bits that i could.... and well... (as per usual) it still rattles!?!?!?

fourth problem- the little metal panel on the interior boot was rattling a bit- so i took it off, lined it with that foamy material stuff and screwed it back on- had to get new screw things coz those nightmare screws would NOT go back in.

i also put double sided tape under the number plate to stop that rattling. drove. and yes, still squeaking!!!!! gah.... its either brake light, the rubber that the boot shuts on or somewhere near the spare tyre.

please oh please help! i dont wanna give up yet. soon, but not yet.

thanks in advance!

beth

Back