Changing CAT on Front Manifold

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
Ok i have:

Trolley Jack, Axel Stands, plenty of sockets and ratchets/etc. what else do i need to swap just the cat? (gaskets or are they re-useable?)

also is it possible to change JUST the cat, without taking off anything else (like down pipe, manifold, etc...)

thanks

im trying my post 2000 with a de-catted cat that i have spare, just to see if it sends it into limp mode, and if not, to see if it makes much difference to power.

you have a spare manifold cat which you have decatted to understand it myself?
they are tricky to undo on the car, you can try though. you should just be ok unboltin gthe front pipe and letting it hang.

The bolts connecting the CAT to the manifold tend to break so having spares is a good idea.
Yes you can change with leaving manifold on, just need to work under the the car more.

yeah i will im just trying to find out about a whining noise atm, my cam chain tensioner has two huge grooves in it.. that normal? the danm spring shot half way across the front lawn aswell danmmit, was fun putting it back together again.. NOT :p

its a good improvemt i have trialed the mod myself. breaths a lot better.

ok i managed to get all the bolts off the top side of the cat, but there seems to be one left on the underside of it, and there is not enough room to get a 12mm socket on it as the cat itself is in the way, how did you get it off? i ever tried using a hammer and spanner but i spanned the spanner and almost rounded off the bolt so im trying to be very careful!

i thought this woud of been easy aswell :( lol nothing ever is on cars tho

i only ever did it off the car. and even then it was a burger. tried lots of wd40, then turned to using a gas torch burner to heat it up. then i got out my old trusty junior hacksaw, which did the job. but left me a stud stuck in there.
when its done though as said, it works nice.

i used plenty of WD-40, and the one under the cat i used a spanner and hammer and it worked eventually! it was also off the car, it was on my spare engine. Its all gutted and ready now but i now need to find a way of getting it on my car... :/

im just scared if i get my old cat of the car i wont be able to get the de-cat back on and be car-less, i might see if i can get some help with it actually just in case

on earlier micras, you can buy a de-cat section for the secondary cat, your better buying a janspeed manifold for getting rid of the primary cat.

im just a tight arse and am therefore just de-catting mine for now rather then getting the whole manifold, also my car may not run on a de-cat as its a post 2000 micra, and id rather not spend £100+ on a janspeed for it to not work.

If it doesnt work on yours I'll have your decatted cat off you if you want to sell it, it should work on mine coz its a '92

i was quoted 150 euro for deacat of the second section. which is 12 inches long. So my father says he will make a section to replace the second part if you get what i mean. Just 150 sounds a bit priceeeee. But will de cattting the second part benifit enough(will i gain much power if any at all) Sorry if im confusing you all and i hope i aint stole your thread.....

probably not unless you de-cat the manifold first, i dont really know, the micra i own only has the one cat in the manifold (as its a later one).

Back