CGA3DE

CMF_Vietnam Boy

» CMF Member
I notice that in later model K11 Micras in Japan it's rated at 63kw. Same motor in the Cube and rated at 74kw.
Wonder if the motor from the Cube would not be a direct fit into the Aussie K11?
I Know, I know I am starting to plan my next K11 Micra project. A bit more grunt to start off with re the CGA3DE motor plus coil packs etc.
Can anyone find a photo of the CGA3DE motor and post here ?

CMF_D1cefiro

» CMF Member
Hey Vietnam boy......not a bad idea.

My Japanese friend has found some CGA3DE engines for me at some japanese auctions. They are starting at around the 400 AUD mark for 2000 model engine/loom/ some with gearbox too...all have around 100000kms driven on them.

Ill include some pics...

Attachments

• 34885.jpg
    34885.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 44

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
They might do, but is it really worth importing one? You'd probably be better off doing up a CG13 or dropping a GA16 or SR20 in as I could imagine some specific parts for the CGA3 might be pretty scarce around here. Feel free to prove me wrong though :p

---dens

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:

"They might do, but is it really worth importing one? You'd probably be better off doing up a CG13 or dropping a GA16 or SR20 in as I could imagine some specific parts for the CGA3 might be pretty scarce around here. Feel free to prove me wrong though :p

---dens

But how hard is it to put a sr or a ga in. Well in Darwin it is as there is noone that will do custom drive shafts and ****.... Sucks arse

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
sikK11 WROTE:

"But how hard is it to put a sr or a ga in. Well in Darwin it is as there is noone that will do custom drive shafts and ****.... Sucks arse"

Well according to the guy that was selling the GA16DE powered micra, the way he did it meant that the chassis rails didn't need to be modified and it used unmodified driveshafts. The only thing that was changed with that conversion was the drivers side and front engine mounts (possibly others though - didn't say).

If I were to look into any engine swaps it'd probably be that - even though it'd still be a lot of work it'd still be easier than dropping an SR into it.

To each their own though :)

---dens

CMF_Vietnam Boy

» CMF Member
Thanks for the input. If I do up another Micra has to have a Micra motor. By the look of the pics I would say its a direct swap. Easy enough to import motor,loom and ECU. Not a full front cut and some places import engine, loom and ECU etc.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
sikK11 WROTE:

"might have to read his thread. Hmmmm i want more power

He doesn't and probably will never have a thread detailing it all. It was all lost due to a hard drive failing apparently.. 'tis a shame.

That said, if what he said was true and you can drop one in without modding driveshafts and minimal modification to the engine mounts, then that's awesome.

---dens

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
dens

i believe the almera 1.4 g/box is a straight swop, leaving only the o/s mount to be fabricated, but unless you use an electric waterpump,i would have thought there would be a chassis clearance issue

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Gah, keep forgetting what an almera is - silly UKDM naming schemes :p It's a Pulsar for anyone wondering. So is this about the RS5F31A gearbox? I was under the impression that it would be a direct fit (from both the N14/15's) but you still had to get custom driveshafts made up.

Ah yeah I'd forgotten about the waterpump thing. I think an electric waterpump made things easier for him but can't remember. Though that's just the gearbox, yeah? What did you mean by the o/s mount?

Does this mean the gearbox doesn't move, but the engine can still be dropped in once the engine mounts have been changed? Gah, this is going my head in. Someone needs to make a definitive guide, haha. We should get a wiki.

---dens

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
dens

yes a uk member said he,d retained the g/box position, stock shafts and mounts and had a custom offside engine mount, but could,nt confirm the g/box type and claimed the waterpump did clear the chassis (must have been damn close tho !)

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
The Aussie GA16DE powered Micra has no water pump pulley (using electric water pump), so has no interference problem with the chassis rail when bolting up to the standard gearbox (RS5F30A), using standard shafts.

The GA16DE uses either RS5F31A or RS5F31V boxes. The CG13DE uses RS5F30A (and rarely in Japan & maybe northern Europe RS5F31V).
RS5F31 boxes can use RS5F30 mounts.
The GA16DE will also bolt up to the RS5F30A.
The RS5F31V can use the shafts from the CVT K11 (e.g. EVLGTI K11 was originally CVT)

If I was doing this swap, I would get the GA16DE & RS5F31V & computer from an N15 or B14 Jap spec with the large bore plastic MAF.
I would fit this into a previously CVT powered K11 with gearchange linkage from a manual, or use the K11 shafts in a manual car.

I believe there are examples of CGA motors fitted to earlier K11, this has been discussed before. I don't recall there being any hastle to fit.
The Alpha spec Cube has different computer, higher redline, inlet cam. There are not manual versions. The manual gearbox fits, maybe with not all of it's bolts???

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Thanks frank2 and nz_aj - awesome to know :) The question is why hasn't it been done more often down here? I'd say most would be offput by the fact that it requires modifying the engine mounts which wouldn't surprise me - Once that's done it should almost just be smooth sailing from there...

Say that you manage to get the engine/box and the loom in, what would have to be taken into consideration in regards to wiring? Obviously you'd need the GA16 ECU, though i'm wondering how much fiddling might be required to get things running.

Thanks heaps for this info so far.. really useful stuff!

---dens

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
yeah that is some good info. I have messaged the guy who did the conversion but no reply as yet.

Hey guys could you tell me what those gear box part numbers are as in what they come out of. Cheers.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
RS5F30A
1.3L K11 Micra & post ~98 1L micra
any nissan powered by a GA motor, except GA16DE, e.g. Pulsar, Sunny, etc.
different bell housing but also used on E motors, except E15ET

RS5F31A
GA16DE powered vehicles, e.g. Pulsar, Almera, Sunny, Lucino
different bell housing but also E15ET, also 1.7L diesel I think.

RS5F31V
Rare 1.3L micra (march) sold in Japan & Europe
Some GA16DE powered N14 & N15 Pulsars.
Different bell housing but also CA16DE & some GM 1.8L powered N13 Pulsar

Back