cga3 faults

Hi
Have a dealer maintained 2002 k11 1.4 twister, with an intresting fault.
Basically the 1.3s and 1.4s will easily do a ton on the motorway happily, well if i do this after around 7 miles at around 95/100 mph the temp gauge will start to climb, from the normal half way position, to around 3/4 and you can smell the sweet smell of coolant inside the car coming through the vents.
The gauge never gets into the red but the car does feel flat when this happens, slow down to around 80mph and the temp becomes normal.
It only does this on motorways when at constant speed, throttle position.
The car also missfires when first started up from cold, like an older k11 flooding itself.
I have changed the coolant, and the thermostat to an 82Deg on from an 88Deg.
My car is also at normal temp on gauge after approx 1.5-3 miles.
I am wondering if at high speed its running really lean thus heating up.
Any ideas

Spud

I have never experienced anything like that on my engine, and its been sat at over 100mph for quite a while at times. The guage never moves!

I own a cga3de 1.4 btw

Nis.

Check for air locks, undo the top pipe that goes to the interiour heater matrix. It seems that the GCA3 has pretty poor cooling standard. Once the engine is hot how long does it take for the fan to cycle on and off?

Ed i spoke to you on the phone about this before.:grinning:

Right the fan hardly comes on in traffic, i sat for an hour in stopstart traffic yesterday and the temp needle didnt budge but the fan cycled a few times,but after a run as your pulling upto park the fan will come on and go off.
I have had it on cold start up the fan started running , which seemed very odd but hasnt done it since.
This problem only really happens when the ambient temp is quite high around the 20deg c and above mark.
Silly question dont think its the clutch slipping at high rpm and road speed?
Have you got something that could talk with this car, so i could take it for a thrash and watch the AFR, engine temp etc?
What will happen on these later cars if i disconnect the main o2 sensor?

could be the water pump not working efficiantly at high rpm or the belt even slipping at high rpm, might be worth checking that is tight?

Hmm, this still puzzles me. The CGA4DE has OBDII diag plug, and I know there is some software that will read this, however I have never worked with OBDII. But something like this may be what you are after:

http://obddiagnostics.com/

seems to have been an airlock in system caused by the heater pipes.
The new lower temp thermomstat helps a lot too.
Only bad thing ive noticed is a small amount of black sludge around the neck of the coolant bottle, and around the neck of the rad cap.
Im hoping its not the dredded head gasket leaking oil into coolant system, as this car does tend to missfire if revved when started from stone cold.
It has done this since new and its just like the older k11 models used to do without the tech mod loom.

have you fixed this if not, i would check you spark plugs make sure they are bosch fr8dcx, ive had it before with a different 1.4 k11 and it turned out the be someone had fitted some ngk brk5e's which are the ones for the older ht lead k11's

it could be that whats causing the missfire aswell

The bosch plugs have actually been changed by as a part supersession to ngk bkr5e by nissan.
I actually found the car much better on the ngk`s but it does have flat spots throughout the rev range due to the fuelling map.

Back