Faults at nearly 3 years old....

I've booked my micra 1.2 cvt visia in for its 3 year service and mot as my warranty expires in 25 days and I've had a couple of issues pop up recently:
Knocking at low speed over speed bumps/pot holes (sounds like anti roll bar drop links),
Rattle at cold start up that is rather loud and lasts for a few minutes, and sounds tappy at idle (sounds like top end noises).
If put into gear rapidly (within about 20 seconds after starting) from cold sometimes the noise is horrendous which I suspect would be a gearbox noise?
The car has just clocked over 19,000 miles, hasn't use any oil etc in 8,000 miles since the last service although fuel consumption has dropped in the last 6 weeks or so by 5mpg (could be due to colder weather). I got the car a year ago with 11,000 miles on, never serviced but booked in as soon as I got it home with my local nissan dealer who advised me the warranty would be unaffected. Has anyone had similar problems and secondly do you think nissan will honour the warranty as the first owner (my mother) missed the first annual service despite the relatively low mileage?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Hi . Sorry to hear about your problems . As far as i am aware a warranty only stands if it has been serviced within time and according to manufactures specs . My neighbour missed his second service on a new motorbike . It then packed in and he had to pay for the repairs . U might be ok . Let us know how u get on . What made u buy the micra . Had u had them before . john

Just seen your post saying your mam gave u the car . Nice one . No need to explain my ?.

OP
OP
M
Thought i would update this post as an ongoing thing. Car has been in for a recall due to the cvt software needing updating. Been told that the suspension lower arms need changing at only 25k for the bargain price of £500! Seriously disappointed in this but i guess it will need to be done soon. Looks like the build quality on the k13 is sub - standard, the dealer said a micra was in last week needing new arms at only 11k! Safe to say I'll be doing the work myself....

SplanK

Site Supporter
Our car is knocking as well, but it knocks once under acceleration, then the next time it knocks is under braking. It is going in for its 3rd service and I will be taking it up with them then.

If they want money for it, I will politely leave the car parked across their entrance until they fix it! There is no way a <25k mileage car should having any sort of suspension work done like that.... if they say it does then I will be considering going to trading standards and reporting that the car is not fit for purpose!

OP
OP
M
I've sourced wishbones and discs from euro car parts, genuine pads from ebay, will be fitting them on my next day off. Am tempted to contact nissan uk but they probably won't care. Let's face it, a car jointly designed with renault (useless) and made in india (useless) isn't exactly going to be a quality vehicle.

OP
OP
M
Hi,

I am contacting you to express my total disgust at the premature failure of the lower wishbones on my Nissan Micra (reg **** ***). During a health check at a local dealer (Hammond Nissan, Suffolk) following a recall I was advised that my lower wishbone bushes had separated and required replacement despite the vehicle having covered less than 26,000 miles. Whilst I am well aware that this now falls outside the warranty period i would not expect failure at a relatively low mileage resulting in a quotation to repair in the region of £500. This was made worse by the fact that I was advised at the time that it is a common fault, and I did well to get that many miles out of them as a vehicle was in recently showing failure at only 11k!

The vehicle was bought from brand new in good faith by my mother, believing a micra would be a good choice based on previous experience, having had several nissans in the family over the last 30+ years (Datsun 120Y, 1986 Nissan Sunny SLX, Nissan Primera si 1998) which have been nothing but reliable and economical to own. Being in the fortunate situation where i was looking to upgrade to a quashqai in the early part of 2015, I no longer feel Nissan meet my expectations and have been forced to look at alternatives, as well as sell the Micra which would have been passed to my wife. Given the shock premature bills i feel this will no longer be a financially viable vehicle to keep in the longer term.

With regards to Hammond Nissan I cannot thank them enough for their service, honesty and level of customer care despite my unfortunate experience of this sub-standard model.

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,

Martin

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Our car is knocking as well, but it knocks once under acceleration, then the next time it knocks is under braking. It is going in for its 3rd service and I will be taking it up with them then.

If they want money for it, I will politely leave the car parked across their entrance until they fix it! There is no way a <25k mileage car should having any sort of suspension work done like that.... if they say it does then I will be considering going to trading standards and reporting that the car is not fit for purpose!
There is no way a <25k mileage car should having any sort of suspension work done like that.
This is only your opinion not fact? Could be damage due to potholes and traffic calming roadway obstacles sleeping policeman speed ramps?

Negotiate with a happy customer open minded reasonable approach and you are far more likely to get a satisfactory result. Any business wants to keep customers happy in order that they will return for more business in the future! Be nice to people and nice things can happen. Make the mistake of letting them know that you are seriously dissatisfied with the vehicle, and then there is no point in the business going the extra mile allocating its resources trying to keep you happy as you are unlikely to buy another?
If they won't play ball, document your grievances in writing/email to them and get their written/email responses to establish a traceable verifiable documented audit trail. Then get a independent motor engineers inspection test report, and take it up with Nissan UK and the dealer with respect to the sale of goods act and fit for purpose UK case law!
If they still won't play ball, then you have the option of putting your documented case before a county court judge in the Small Claims Court! The whole procedure is simply set out in the Daily Telegraph motoring correspondence website URL: as follows

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/

Make your own luck.

Last edited:
Opening paragraph will get you no where. You should have phoned up and asked as soon as you had the report of suspension failure stating you purchased car of your mum, you payed to have all servicing done at nissan and your Unhappy that the parts have failed so soon and would there be anything they could contribute to you as in the new year your buying a new qashqai. Then wait for reply. You went in guns blazing, they dont like that. Trust me i have delt with cust care for nissan several times for our customers.

SplanK

Site Supporter
FYI: Our car went in for its 3rd service (major) service today and I reported the knocking noise. I was expecting a fight after the comments above and there are only 4 months left of the warranty and was pleasantly surprised when they told me they had replaced the lower arm bushes under warranty (not sure if they swapped the entire arm, or if they have just done the bushes - they didn't give me a copy of the job sheet to keep, should have asked for a copy of it really!). I commented that I was a little surprised that the bushes had gone within 3 years and just shy over 20k, they responded "yeah, we have had a few, you wont have any problems with them now".

I am not sure how to take the last part, IE I wont get hear the knocking now (confirmed!), or they have done a slight redesign and the early failure wont be experienced again.

Ours is a DIG-S so not sure if they use different parts in some areas compared to the N/A 1.2 engine.

Splank said

Our car went in for its 3rd service (major) service today and I reported the knocking noise. I was expecting a fight after the comments above and there are only 4 months left of the warranty and was pleasantly surprised when they told me they had replaced the lower arm bushes under warranty”

Good for you and for confirming that Nissan and its dealers can be responsible normal businesses meeting customer warranty needs when they are approached positively and proactively.

Good luck.

Last edited:

SplanK

Site Supporter
I was having a discussion on the Qashqai owners club as some of those are experiencing problems with the 1.6 DCI CVT box and the different response from different dealers. I think that just it, it depends how the dealers are able to work with Nissan, OR take the hit on their own costs regarding replacement costs, or try and make money out of a situation. Bushes are generally cheap as chips and with the right tools don't take long to replace at all.

I was having a discussion on the Qashqai owners club as some of those are experiencing problems with the 1.6 DCI CVT box and the different response from different dealers. I think that just it, it depends how the dealers are able to work with Nissan, OR take the hit on their own costs regarding replacement costs, or try and make money out of a situation. Bushes are generally cheap as chips and with the right tools don't take long to replace at all.

UK consumer protection law places the contractual agreement clearly between the retailer and the customer. Therefore legal responsibility for goods and services and warranty liabilities are for the retailer to discharge to the customer.

How the manufacturer and retailer’s share the defective goods commercial costs are of no legal consequence for the retail customer.
The retail customer has "nothing to fear except fear itself" when enforcing their legal rights against UK retailers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M
Glad to report nissan have acknowledged the issue and have booked the car in to have the wisbones replaced under goodwill.
My faith in nissan has been restored and now means we are looking at replacing the micra with a 4wd dig-t juke in april :)

Martyc said
“My faith in Nissan has been restored and now means we are looking at replacing the Micra with a 4wd dig-t Juke in April” :)

That’s a good result, a proactive turnaround, compared to your unhappy dissatisfied previous two posts dated 30 November 2014!

Reflecting on the facts, it should be noted and considered that your suspension repair is a single gesture of goodwill by the Nissan dealer, outside the limited three-year warranty period,~ possibly to get you to buy another Nissan? Perhaps more accurately described by the well-known idiom, “a sprat to catch a mackerel”? Take the repair free of charge and consider it a lucky escape.

The Renault management culture of cutting all costs to a minimum before quality engineering, afflicts all newer models since the K 12 Micra onwards! Exemplified by the Nissan three year limited warranty compared to its competitors five and seven years warranties? The consequential results can be seen in the JD Power surveys and the Daily Telegraph motoring correspondence reviews of recent Nissan's. Reference:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/nissan/juke

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...er-satisfaction-survey-full-car-model-results

The Nissan Juke came in at 77th in the JD Power customer satisfaction survey 2014 above. In the same bottom quartile with the K13 Micra languishing at a lowly 98th place.
Do your own research with an open questioning mindset. What is the consumer not being told by the hypnotic marketing that is designed to separate them from as much hard earned money as possible in return for as little as possible? Inane hypnotic seduction where “you pays your money and takes your choice, to repent at leisure at your cost, chewing the cud on the MSC”.[/quote]

Last edited:

SplanK

Site Supporter
Ok, my knocking noise is "back", well it never really left but a little more difficult to get it to knock than before. Went back in and now the anti roll bar bushes are blown. They can do it under warranty but there is a 3 week lead time! Poor show for a car that's still in production!

Now they say its fine to drive as is, but im just a little concerned that its MOT is due real soon. I don't want these bushes to perish as far as they would fail but at the same time, I want to leave it as far as I can before I MOT it to get my "moneys worth" from the 3 year MOT free period as it were!

Also a little concerned that the car has 22k/3 years on it and both these sets of bushes are gone!

Ok, my knocking noise is "back", well it never really left but a little more difficult to get it to knock than before. Went back in and now the anti roll bar bushes are blown. They can do it under warranty but there is a 3 week lead time! Poor show for a car that's still in production!

Now they say its fine to drive as is, but im just a little concerned that its MOT is due real soon. I don't want these bushes to perish as far as they would fail but at the same time, I want to leave it as far as I can before I MOT it to get my "moneys worth" from the 3 year MOT free period as it were!
Also a little concerned that the car has 22k/3 years on it and both these sets of bushes are gone!

May be worth asking them to fit up rated bushes free of charge and of known superior durability in lieu of the exceptionally insubstantial original equipment suspension parts? Should not be beyond the wit of even a K9 Nissan dealer to think of that and avoid repeating the same mistakes endlessly upsetting customers!

Provides the pretext you need to prolong the process to get “your money’s worth” whilst they contemplate the sad situation without revealing to K9 you underlying agenda.
Take control and seize the initiative and steer K9 in the direction that best suits your needs. No harm in asking as what you don’t ask for you don’t get.

SplanK

Site Supporter
I doubt Nissan would fit 'uprated' bushes? They will just supply what they make for the car.

There is a chance that they have uprated them already so I may not get the problem again, but still a concern

SplanK

Site Supporter
ARB bushes replaced and no more knocking!

Taking to the guys behind the desk, they seem to think the fault was down to the lack of grease which lead to premature wear. New units fitted and lubed up so hopefully they should last now!

OP
OP
M
Micra px'd and gone.... replaced by a subaru impreza wrx. Unfortunately after driving a duke i was left disappointed and i didn't feel Nissan would be a long term reliable brand whilst associated with renault. **Removed non member can not offer items for sale**

Last edited by a moderator: