Car hesitates at constant throttle, hunting on tickover 1.2 petrol

My 1.2 Micra Activ started to hesitate on constant throttle on my motorway run to work. At 60mph it would start to hesitate and the speed would drop. Push on to 70mph no problem, then try to keep it there and same issue hesitation. No warning lights on yet! Got back home that evening, liked it to my £9.99 on board diagnostic device and fault code p0132 came up. This is the pre- cat lambda sensor. Had a look on you tube and there were a couple of cases of diagnostics coming up with pre-cat faults when in actual fact it was the post cat lambda which had failed. I looked in my Haynes manual, and was upset to read that the pre-cat sensor had changed from Bosch to GKN after 2005, and if you changed it then you needed to get software changed on the car to set the new parameters of the GKN lambda. At this stage I decided to change the post- cat sensor @ £40 from Euro Car Parts. Everything is now back to normal, car running sweet ( only 58000 on the clock), passed its MOT today. Just wanted to post this in case you get the same diagnosis. Repair could have cost 5 times what it did, glad I took a chance and replaced what turned out to be the defective sensor.

Back