Crap Tickover

My car seems to be running rough, I haven't been using it alot until about 3 weeks ago because of the CC, but I dusted the micra off, and since then it's been running rough (it's never been ''smooth'' on tickover since year dot)

I put some injector cleaner in tonight, I haven't driven it far since then. I don't know what else to try. I did clean the engine a while ago and that got the spark plug holes wet, and the tubes that go down into them are a tad rusty (surface) when that happened (early may) I soaked the water up and sprayed WD40 everywhere.

I'm going to try the following:-

• Plugs
  • Leads
  • ECU Reset
  • Have a look @ TB and see if joint is dry.

I'd really, really appreciate some help here, as my parents have gone away in the CC and I'm stranded. It's worrying me big-time.

Thanks in advance. Nik

Maybe still wet, as i washed mine a few days ago and did the same thing mate. Have the bonnet open, with all injector pulgs off, pull out spark plugs, and also heve the ht leads off. Thiss will hopefully dry out any water thats in the engine.
Titch :kungfu:

try new plugs first,,wont hurt anything and cheap enuff
also check all the connectors on the TB especialy the idol control valve sensor,,

if you have a haynes manual run an ECU fault finder test see wot comes up ,,

did u jet the engine down?? if so didn't you keep it running?

is it backfiring?smoke out of zorst?cutting out?

I noticed a bit of smoke the other day, but that was when it was being moved from being sat for ages. Going to try new plugs soon, and leads. And waiting for a super hot day to dry her out.

Thanks for the help lads. :)

mine's been having similar symptoms. smoking on startup, idoling really badly, occasional stalling on start up, gotta kick the throttle to get it going. should i try the same thing or just cry and send her packing? :S

think robbos was like that,,not 100% tho,,his was the TB

but could also be the timing,,usually backfires wen this is out too

smoke from the zorst could be oil,,which means worn piston rings/seals..
or fuel..which means engines flooding these engines are bad for flooding,like the ga/sr are also bad,,can tell by the colour and smell of it

mine mixes too rich too so it smells likle im sitting in a refinery when she starts! i *think* the timing is cack, will get it checked. thanks for the help and sowwy for threadstealage!

Still the same, It's going to be warm tomorrow, so off with the leads and out in the sun.

Monday new leads and plugs, plus WD40ing.

My dad doesn't want me to take the tb apart as he thinks it's to large a job for me to undertake. I think I'll take it to my local garage for them to have a look at the TB and the timing.

rite if you think its the TB,,chances are its just suking air in,,from the base gasket or the solder joins,,,get it on tikover and spray around it with wd40 to create a seal for a couple of seconds around the bottom and the edges,etc,,if it is leaking you will notice i difference in the idol speed,it should go back to normal while the wd40 is on

if its not too bad i dont see how it can make it run as bad as you say it does,,mine has i leak,but iyts not effecting anything yet,,i jus need to change the base gasket on mine,,

I went against my dad's advice and self-diagnosed. All circuits and systems running fine. 55

Idle seems to be better as well, had the air box off and had a look at all the vac hoses and connectors, all ok.

The coolant was really low, so filled that to just below MAX, could low coolant cause it? Doubt it though.

New plugs on monday, and leads. New air-filter too. Not expensive are they?

11 quid at my local motor spares...lol,my 1.6 is doing the same now!! grr

nik..wen you rev'd the car did it not pik up? and made it hard to drive wen you set off like it didnt want to rev?

Back